16" barreled rifle

tbrown9124

After building numerous dedicated long range and equally long barreled rifles I am wanting to take a step in the opposite direction, I'm curious if anyone here has build either a 243win/ackley or 308 win with a short 16" barrel and what their results have been in both velocity and accuracy.

Look in the specialty handgun section in the rifles, reloading, optics and equipment forums. Almost all of the handguns run typical rifle calibers in barrels around that size

Contact Ernie in the Specialty Handgun thread he will give you what you want.

After building numerous dedicated long range and equally long barreled rifles I am wanting to take a step in the opposite direction, I'm curious if anyone here has build either a 243win/ackley or 308 win with a short 16" barrel and what their results have been in both velocity and accuracy.

The shortest barrels that I have had were 18" and 20" both were 7/08s and both were very accurate
and gave up very little velocity.

The 308 was designed for 20'' barrels and all of its "Offspring's" do well in a short barrel.

I also have a custom XP pistol with a 16.5 '' barrel that is extremely accurate and is at its best with heavy bullets.

Short heavy barrels are very ridged and accurate and with the right load be very effective at 400 to
500+ yards on game.

For a rifle I would go with a 20'' barrel for performance and appearance (Barrels shorter than 20
make the stocks look to long)and for the pistol a 16'' is about the minimum length.

J E CUSTOM

I have an 18" barrel .308. I use Alliant Power Pro 2000mr powder. I am getting 2570fps using 168 Berger hybrids. I've been successful out to 800. It is a good combo.

I have a 16 inch 308. It's a great woods gun. Accuracy is amazing being that its such a short, stiff barrel. But the trade off is velocity. With a max charge of varget or 4064 and 165 grain gameking I'm only getting 2475 fps out of it. I bought it for a purpose though. And that was deer hunting in the thick woods of Northern Wisconsin. Works great for that purpose.

I have a 16 inch 308. It's a great woods gun. Accuracy is amazing being that its such a short, stiff barrel. But the trade off is velocity. With a max charge of varget or 4064 and 165 grain gameking I'm only getting 2475 fps out of it. I bought it for a purpose though. And that was deer hunting in the thick woods of Northern Wisconsin. Works great for that purpose.

You should try the Alliant power pro 2000. If you find a load on the upper end, I bet you'll get over 2500 if that is something you desire.

I just finished building a shorty in 6x47 Lapua, 19" barrel. Need to shoot it yet, but it handles like a dream and it will make a dandy walk-about coyote rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.