155gr Berger's in my 30-06

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by backwoods hunter, May 22, 2009.

1. backwoods hunter

backwoods hunter Well-Known Member

Just wanted to start out buy saying hi fellas. This is my first post on this forum.
    I tried some 155gr. Berger's in my 30-06 today and the results were great. The rifle is a win. 1885 high-wall with a 28in tube. My favorite rifle. At 200 yds they shot under a group you can cover with a dime. At 500 yds it shot a group you can cover with a quarter. Probably even better with someone else behind the gun. But needless to say I'm very happy with these bullets!

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Welcome aboard,

That souds like very good shooting to me. You should put it away now and just tell stories about how good it is.:D

Steve

3. Leupold308

Leupold308 Active Member

No needed to experiment with loads then, as thats remarkable shooting @ 500yds. How many flyers is that not counting. Good shooting: sierras new 155 sound good to, but why switch now.

4. backwoods hunter

That was off the Bench. I shot 3 shot at my 500 yard target and havent shot at it since. Maybe it was luck who knows.

5. Leupold308

Leupold308 Active Member

A good friend of mine has a 1885 high-wall in -06 and his to has a very good bore. Does it like other leads , or to soon to tell?

6. backwoods hunter

The only other bullets i have shot in it were hornady 150gr. SST and inter bond. The gun shoots them very well to. I never explored any passed that. I shot the SST right off the bat and stuck with them for all may playing and groundhog hunting (CHEAP bullets). I used the inter bond's for all my big game hunting. I do this with a lot of my guns because both bullets shoot the same. Same power, primer, ect. That way I don't even have to re-sight in my gun. With the hornady bullet i was getting about a 2 1/2, 3 shot group at 500 yards. My high wall is the commemorative 06, Because it was the only one i could find at the time.

7. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

If you are going to deer hunt use those Berger's. I shot a deer with a 155 VLD out of my 308 last year and you would not believe what it did to that deer. Exit hole the size of a baseball in offside shoulder. The vitals were soup. Oh! They shoot little bitty groups also.:D