155 A-Max & Varget

deergrunt

Well I took the 2 and 1/2 hour drive down to Shyda's with a good friend of mine to buy bullets and powder. He was the only one crazy enough to make the drive with me. Why is it that Rt 81 is always under construction around Wilks Barr? I bought a box of Hornady's 155 grain A-Max and a pound of Varget. I have a brand new bag of 50 Winchester brass. I shoot a Remington 700 VLS chambered in a .308 Win. I still need to buy some primers. The question is how much powder would be a good starting point? Which primers do you guys recommend? I have never used Varget before. Mostly everybody on this site seems to like it so I decided to give it a try. My max shooting range is going to be 400 to 500 yards. The barrel is 26 inches long with a 1:12 twist. Thank you in advance for help.

Yo H-bar.

I figure about 45gr would be a decent starting point, working up to maybe 47gr or so. That should get you at or about 2800fps with a 155. (Working up of course)

I like to use either WLR's or 210M's for primers, but some swear by the CCI BR2's with VarGet.

FatBoy...

My best load was 46gr of Varget in Fed Gold Medal brass lit with a CCI BR2 primer. I moly my bullets so would suggest you start at 44gr and work up in 1/2gr increments. My muzzle vel was 2850fps.

Keep that bullet as close to the lands as possible. I like to lightly seat mine into the lands. My combo has shot sub 1/2" groups (3rds) at 250yds. Also taken this out to 1450yds (could have gone further but ran out of elevation).

I use the Lee collet neck die and Forster BR seater to make up my ammo.

A great combo...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.