150gr Barnes TTSX in a 30-06

Larry87

Just wondering if anyone has tried these bullets with H414 in a 30-06. I got the loads from barnes for starting and max loads. But thought maybe someone else had some info on where a sweet spot was that I should try. Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has tried these bullets with H414 in a 30-06. I got the loads from barnes for starting and max loads. But thought maybe someone else had some info on where a sweet spot was that I should try. Thanks

Yup sure have and is the best powder in my 30-06 with that bullet.

Winchester cases
Winchester standard primers
57 grains of H-414
Running 2993 average from 24" Barrel 700

Started at 55 grains and went up to 59 grains groups started to get better at 56 looked good at 57 and started to open at 57.5 59 was getting some minor pressure signs so I started working jump on the 57 grain load and I am pretty happy with the results. Burns a bit dirty but everything else is fine. I might rework the load in future with a Mag primer to see if 414 would burn a bit cleaner. I would also consider H or IMR 4350 with that bullet if your rifle does not like 414.

I tried H414 with 180grn SIE GameKings. The results were not good at all with the best group at 1.5". My bbl is only a 22" so I'm going to try some faster powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.