150g sst out of a 270

remingtonman_25_06

I am going to try a new bullet in my 270. the 150g SST. Anybody know the estimate BC of this bullet?? My rifle seems to like the sierra and hornady bullets better and I like plastic tipped bullets for various reasons. I figured this might be a great 800 yard deer bullet. My 270 is shooting 150g gamekings right now at 2950-3000fps with either h4831sc or rl-22, both at 57.5g. They are max loads for this rifle. I was going to start at 56.5g with both powders and go up in .3g increment till I get to 57.5g. Or wherever accuracy is best. Hoping for 2" 3 shot groups at 300 yards. Anybody shoot this bullet out of a 270?

The losted BC of the regular SST is list to be .525 but I have found that with the Interbond bullets they are a little high on their estimation. But that may not be the case with the regular SST.
I load for a friends 270WSM and he wanted the 150SST's at first but diden't care for their performance on big hogs so we went to the 130gr Interbond and he's much happeir as they shoot flatter and with less recoil and he's tickled with their on game performance on wild hogs in the 200-400lb range ar shooting distances up to 400yds

Well .525 is looking better then .450. Also I hate that when I shoot, the bullets in the mag get flat tips. I hate that! I like btips but they dont shoot that well in this rifle. I figure If I can get 2900fps with a .500-525 BC, it will be a 800 yarder at most for deer if had be. I shot the gamekings into paper and was not thrilled with the results, but not surprised either. Jacket/core seperation. Also the exits on coyotes have been pretty nasty. I hope the SST holds up a little better. I will shoot one into some paper and find out though.

I shoot the 140's at .495. 56.4 grains of rl19= 3100 fps out of a 24" barrel. The load's not max, it's where the rifle likes it. I think there's plenty left at 1k for deer. I've yet to shoot a deer or elk at long range with this or any bullet. However, I think this bullet will do well. The above load is very accurate in my rifle. My other bullet choice would be Noslers accubond. But, the sst is half the price.

Good luck.

Ditto Grit on every thing he said.

The 140gr bullet I use is the Hornady Interlock boat tail at 3200 FPS out of a 27" barrel. Very accurate and enough for a deer as far as you can hit it properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.