150 vs 168 Barnes TTSX 300 Weatherby

Thanks for all the replies,

The Mark V is a California made one, I'd guess it was made in the early 2000's.

My Vanguard is a really great shooter, but I wish it had the 26" pipe. I'm about to get it threaded and use my newly acquired suppressor on the upcoming antelope hunt.

I just ordered 100 Barnes 168's and will start at their minimum load and work up. Fingers crossed that they shoot good because I only have 200 primers. It's really a shame that this ammo crisis had to happen. Being a college student I really didn't have the choice to stock up, so now I'm trying to make do with what I can. Reloading seems like a ton of fun. So far I have only loaded handguns such as 9mm, 10mm and 357 mag. I'm really looking forward to getting these 300's going.

Take your pick of 150 or 168 ive shot both in 300bee, 300 win, and 300 short mag ive found both to be very accurate and believe with proper shot placement no animal will know the difference.

I shot Barnes TTSX for years in 300 WM and 300 WBY. Absolutely use the 168 gr as they are usually unusually accurate. I have been told the ogive configuration is based on over 10 yrs experimentation by the army with 30 caliber bullets. Many people find the 168 TTSX really accurate ... I did .... would be my first choice. Good luck

Both my 300 WBY's prefer the 168 gr. TTSX's accuracy wise. It, and the 180 Nosler Partition are my prefered elk/mule deer bullets. One my 300's ( A Vanguard ) has a 24" tube, and produces velocities over 3300 FPS with excellent accuracy using REL-23. The velocity difference with the 26" barrel is negligible. ( less than 60 FPS )

I shoot 165-168 Barnes out of a 300 RUM...and that's for elk! I trust them to about 900 yards. I'd go with the 150's if deer is what's on the menu. Unless Barnes they changed them, the 150's have different profile than the rest of their .308's.

I shoot 165-168 Barnes out of a 300 RUM...and that's for elk! I trust them to about 900 yards. I'd go with the 150's if deer is what's on the menu. Unless Barnes they changed them, the 150's have different profile than the rest of their .308's.
You should take the advive on Hammer bullets the Hammer Hunters will save you a lot of trial and error very easy to work loads for the new Absolute Hammers will give higer velocities and less chamber pressure because of less parobolic drag order online or call Steve and tell him what your trying to achieve he's very helpful one of the inventer and owners of Hammer bullets check their website I started shooting Barnes when they made their first bullets Hammer has them beat in my humble opinion

Barnes all the way!!!! Both 150 or 165-8 are killer on deer and Elk size game! 3200 -3500 fps kills them all at half the price of those other bullets. I do find even with freebore the longer you can load them the better. Try RL 19 with them! The TTSX is the way to go!!

My dads 300 Bee liked the 168gr TTSX. It shot them sub MOA in a basic factory Vanguard rifle.

Barnes all the way!!!! Both 150 or 165-8 are killer on deer and Elk size game! 3200 -3500 fps kills them all at half the price of those other bullets. I do find even with freebore the longer you can load them the better. Try RL 19 with them! The TTSX is the way to go!!
With the cost of all our equipment and cost of hunting, I certainly wouldn't be worried about $.30 per bullet......especially at the terminal end of the Entire Hunt! I shot Barnes since the old X Bullet and have changed all of my Barnes loads over to Hammers! Hammers have even better penetration than Barnes due to no mushrooming of the petals and since the petals break off, you get the shrapnel effect causing even more damage. Once you compare the internal damage of Hammers compared to Barnes, you'll be sticking with the Hammers!

My dads 300 Bee liked the 168gr TTSX. It shot them sub MOA in a basic factory Vanguard rifle.
Barnes bullets are great bullets and can make small calibers come to life on larger game they were intended for but they need a impact vel high enough to perform like they were designed for long range or short the Hammers are the best of both worlds I think of them as a hybrid bullet their front section fragmentate while the shank penetrates on through for long range hunting at lower impact vel they wont pencil through thats my reason to prefer Hammers plus vel gain accuracy and Load to desired vel and your done unless you get excited abuot their accuracy like me and keep burning em up my 300 wby is a pre war mod 70 win converted to weatherby 300 mag by Weatherby in South Gate California they put their recoil pad on it says Weatherby S.G Cal they ext the mag box opened the rails bolt face hardened test the action and bolt chambered from 30 govt 06 too 300 wby used to be my main hunting rifle now 6.5 Prc less recoil

Barnes bullets are great bullets and can make small calibers come to life on larger game they were intended for but they need a impact vel high enough to perform like they were designed for long range or short the Hammers are the best of both worlds I think of them as a hybrid bullet their front section fragmentate while the shank penetrates on through for long range hunting at lower impact vel they wont pencil through thats my reason to prefer Hammers plus vel gain accuracy and Load to desired vel and your done unless you get excited abuot their accuracy like me and keep burning em up my 300 wby is a pre war mod 70 win converted to weatherby 300 mag by Weatherby in South Gate California they put their recoil pad on it says Weatherby S.G Cal they ext the mag box opened the rails bolt face hardened test the action and bolt chambered from 30 govt 06 too 300 wby used to be my main hunting rifle now 6.5 Prc less recoil
"Best of both worlds" is a great way to explain Hammers!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.