150 TSX to TTSX handload

bkondeff

So my Sako 7mmRM shoots the 150 TSX to my satisfaction at .7moa very consistently using 64.0gr 4831 and Rem9.5's. I have not tried the TTSX of the same weight, but like the idea of even a slight increase in bc from .408 to .450.

So my quesion is do I have to plan on significan load development work, or is there a high probability my current load should group as well? Don't want to mess with a good thing and put more loads down this barrel than necessary just to tinker. This gun, oddly did not like the TSX 160 FB near as well.

Opinions, especially real life from anyone going TSX-TTSX or vice versa.

Many of us (believe it or not:D) Have a good bit of experience with Barnes Bullets. I have used the TSX & TTSX for YEARS to great ends. Your jump or jam in relation to the bullets ogive/lands relationship should not change, as the only difference should be in OAL of the bullet after adding the Polymer tip.

You may check to see the the loaded TTSX will still fix/feed through your magazine. I can't see any difference in performance, but ......:D

Maybe I should clarify. Do you experienced TSX/TTSX guys believe the two bullets to be interchangeable. Can you slip a 150gr TTSX into the same load you use for a TSX and expect the same performance in terms of groups and velocity out of the barrel.

I believe the bullet will have a diff trajectory, simply since the TTSX has a higher BC.

My goal is to avoid doing load development all over again.

i think you will have to drop the powder charge down a grain or two then work back up to the load you are using now or you may even have to go past it. The bearing surface is most likely different so pressure will be slightly different. You might want to give Barnes a call or an e-mail to check if the bearing surface is different or if they are interchanable. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.