150 GR XP3 in 300 WSM

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Dirty Steve, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Well-Known Member

Anyone want 65% of a box of 150 gr Winchester XP3's for a 300 WSM? I will sell them for $20 plus shipping. They absolutely will not shoot in my Savage 12FVSS. I have never had a round group so poorly. Has anyone else had this issue with the 150 gr XP3's? Group sizes were about 4"+ at 100 yards with no consistency. I was hoping to use them for antelope, but not with them spraying groups like that.

Dirty Steve

2. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Didn't shoot worth a darn in my Savage 270 WSM. I bought 2 boxes and then shot 22 rounds before I gave up on them. They went with the rifle to the next owner but I fully informed him that they did not shoot well.

I know that every rifle has loads that it does - and does not - like. Mine hated those and with all of the options available today I don't plan on buying them again.

P.S. - isn't 150gr quite a lightweight for a 300? I'd look to 180 and above if it was me.

3. BUNDUKI

BUNDUKI Well-Known Member

Didn't shoot well in my 300win mag 3-4" groups

4. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Well-Known Member

I had been shooting 180gr Partitions, and they shot well. You know the old adage, "the grass is always greener" and I wanted to try a lighter load for antelope. Evidently the 150 gr XP3's are not it. I'm going back to the 180gr Partitions.

Dirty Steve