144 grain Laupa FMJBT in 6.5/284

OK if no one has used the 144 grain laupa FMJBT in 6.5/284 has anyone tried it in a 6.5 Grendel? Just thought with a BC of .636 someone would of tried it by now.

6.5 144 FMJ is a good bullet little less accurate than Scenar but cheaper ( in Europe )

6.5 Grendell ( when real data will be available ...with chamber pressure ... ) is a small capacity cartridge and 144 is very heavy for a 6.5 so surely not the best choice , Norma 130 gr match bullet will be a better choice

good shooting

DAN TEC

As posted on Snipers Paridise the 6.5 Grendel has pressures in the 42,000-43,000 psi range. Am trying to get loading data while I await delivery. The 144 grain Laupa is priced the same as the Scenar line at the single source I can find in the US. I would like to use an accurate 6.5 FMJ for wolf hunting.

perhaps

I have send 2 mails to Alexander for REAL technical informations in the aim to chamber rifles in Europe and get !!!!?????

NOTHING usefull I only trust in real data and serious information and surely doesn t want another gost story "à la " 408 Cheyenne and "à la " LRB " magic bullet

SO I still wait SAAMI and CIP value from Alexander Arms with Piezo data and all specs ( velocity loading table .. ) , making a wildcat is lot pain but lot of fun try to chamber a commercial cartridge without serious data is just lot of trouble

good shooting

DAN TEC

DAN TEC,

I received your email and as I responded to you personally, I have forwarded it to Bill Alexander at Alexander Arms and brought it to his attention on the phone.

Your request is among many requests including information being requested by the US military.

Your request for consideration to produce rifles for their propritary cartridges in the European market will be reviewed and will be responded to as soon as possible.

Regarding CIP approval, this process is being handled by Nammo.

TX65

ok

if you go with Nammo CAREFULLY check CIP drawing because a very commum way is to make BROAD chamber with DEEP throat "à la CIP" to keep pressure LOW and as 6.5/284 Norma you need or must need to use Norma match ( in fact a wilcat ) to get something that work as a target rifle and not a hunting look a like target rifle .

pressure :
if your performance are get from family case 6 PPC that not possible for CIP to use same or highter pressure than parent case ( seely but CIP rule ) so if your performance are get at 6 PPC or hotter pressure , your CIP cartridge will be lower in performance .

check too if CIP load works in semi auto ( smooth operating ) because match pressure ( CIP rules ) are just pressure peak and not all loading works fine in semi auto and specialy in AR15 ( ratio port location / pick of pressure )

OAL :
CIP aol need to be check to match with bullet deph seating ( short OAL with long bullet = poor cartridge )

with time and several trials Lapua ( Nammo ) velocity are low to very low to get mild pressure I have never understand how they can reach so highter pressure with not heavy load .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.