142 Accubond LR

My savage creedmoor loves the 142 ablr that Winchester is putting out. I've not killed anything with it though. I shoot a 130 accubond in my model 70 264 win. It's a 78 model & groups just over half inch @ 200 with the factory loaded nosler. I've shot two deer with the 130 ab's & both dropped in their tracks. If I get another 6.5 round I will load some 142 ablr's. I'm giving the 6.5 PRC a hard look.

Recently I witnessed two whitetails taken with the 142 ABLR fired from a 6.5 Creed. Both shots were taken at just over 100yds and resulted in large exit wounds (soft ball size). Kills were quick but damage was notable. I've killed many whitetails with the regular Accubonds and never saw such large exit wounds. FWIW, I have also found it easier to tune the regular Accubonds.

I'm using them in two rifles - 6.5x55 @ 2800 and a 264 WM @ 3250. The Swede has taken a number of deer-sized game, mainly whitetail, axis and fallow. Exit wounds have consistently been around an inch to an inch and a half. The 264 has take a couple of elk and a few whitetail and axis. Exit wounds on the elk were in the 2" range and on the whitetail around the same as the Swede - 1.5".
Other than one whitetail buck taken at 175 yards, all were DRT. Though the big-bodied elk was dead, he got back up and took another one to convince him he was really dead. This after the first shot went through both shoulder blades and pulped the tops of both lungs and one of the major arteries out of the heart.
Accuracy on the Swede is the best of all of my rifles. 5 shots in .3" group and has done it with consistency. I've used the Swede out to deer around 300 and haven't recovered a bullet from that rifle yet.
From the 264, I recovered one bullet, the second shot, that went in through the back rib, through the lungs and through the off-side shoulder (ironically, it went through the bone right next to where the first shot entered) and ended up in the meat on that shoulder.
I've found best accuracy around .05-.1 off the lands with both of these cartridges.
I use regular accubonds in two 25-06, a 308 and a 243. Haven't had a complaint about them to this day. All work well.
Yes, the ABLR are 'softer', they're suppose to be. As for the 'dimpling' I've seen on a few ABLR's I've seated, they haven't had any effect on accuracy or on on game performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.