140g Abond vs 140 Berger VLD

feelinducky

Just bought some 140g Berger VLD and comparing them to the 140g Accubond that I normally shoot out of my 270WSM. Big difference in bearing surface. What I don't understand is the Berger looks so much more aerodymanic than the accubond but only has a .487 BC where the accubond is listed at .496. Anyone else notice this? Much less bearing surface on the Berger. I want to work up some loads with the Bergers but I don't have a manual. I need to buy it. But in the interim can someone help me out with some min and max charge weights for AA4350 powder in the 270 wsm?

Nosler #7 for the 140g Accubond list the following:

270WSM 56.5-60.5 IMR4350

AA4350 is a little slower than IMR4350 according to the powder burn rate chart in Nosler #7.

Is it ok to use the AA4350 at the minimum charge weights of the IMR 4350 and work up looking for pressure signs? I have 2 different variables in this equation, 1) different bullet, 2) different powder.

Thanks

Regarding the discrepancy between the bc's of the two bullets, Berger tends to be more accurate in their data than Nosler. You can see for yourself that Nosler's bc info is probably a bit optomistic.

The various 4350's are pretty close in burn rate. Close enough that they can even swap places relative to one another in different applications and different conditions or even among different lot numbers.

For a starting load, I don't see a problem with substituting data between them. The MAX load is where you may see a difference, so approach the top end with some caution. The same will be true using different bullets of the same weight.

I think the Berger 130 VLD Classic Hunter has a better BC of .497. I use it in my 270Win

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,158
It is tough to go wrong with the bergers when it comes to long range. I know that some guns just "like" some bullets better than others. Over the years and with several different guns I have found mixed success with some brands, but bergers have always treated me well.

I haven't tried any AA4350, but have had great luck with Reloader 22 and the 140 accubond. 66.0 grains is just below max and has been my go to load in several factory 270wsm's.

I have also had good luck with the 140 and 150 Berger VLD'S with Retumbo. 68.5 grains is a very accurate load for me with the 140's.

Good luck!

Doug

I tried RL22, RL19, RL17 with the accubond but just couldn't get any velocity out of them. I would like to be at 3100fps with a 140g.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.