140 or 150 gr. for 270 WSM

plumcrazy

I have a 270 WSM sako 85 with a 10" twist.... now Im trying to find the best factory ammo for the rifle but I would like to know if the rifle would shoot the 150s better than 140s being it has a little faster twist than other 270 rifles....Im just trying to narrow down some options in bullets

Depends on what you want to do with it and at what range
If your whackin elk at 300/400 yards go with a 150gr Patrition. If you want to shoot extended range I like the 140 Accubond. I dont know anyone who shoots Long range seriously with factory ammo, but if you wanted to try Berger's get some HSM ammo.

Last edited:
I'll second the 140 accubond.
Shot a mulie with one at 350 yds and the deer never even fliched.
Just layed his head down- drt.
Good combo of velocity,bc,and terminal performance.
Plus it was very accurate.
I was using 62.2 gr I7828 ssc

i agree with ironworker but my delima is when I buy the factory round I plan on buying a case of each so I can have the same lot number...... My main concern is my rifle has a faster twist than all other rifles I see in the 270WSM and I didn't know if that would cause an accuracy issue useing lighter rounds.... It is my understanding that a longer bullet (heavier) needs more spin but at what point does a fast spin affect a lighter bullet accuracy........... Oh and this is only a whitetail gun the distance will depend on what kind of groups i can get the gun to shoot with factory ammo for now

I have a 10 twist on my Winchester. I havent seen a bullet made for the 270 that it wont stabilize. I think I even hered that a 10 twist was just enough to stabilize the 169 gr Wildcat Bullet. Youll be fine with anything you can buy in a store.
Look into the 150gr Fed. Fusions also. I have had great results with them.
A case of ammo would buy a decent press and then you could roll your own. Way more satisifying, and usually more accurate than factory stuff.

i agree with ironworker but my delima is when I buy the factory round I plan on buying a case of each so I can have the same lot number...... My main concern is my rifle has a faster twist than all other rifles I see in the 270WSM and I didn't know if that would cause an accuracy issue useing lighter rounds.... It is my understanding that a longer bullet (heavier) needs more spin but at what point does a fast spin affect a lighter bullet accuracy........... Oh and this is only a whitetail gun the distance will depend on what kind of groups i can get the gun to shoot with factory ammo for now

I had a Mod 70 with a 10" twist. I think all 270s made by any and all have a 10" twist. Case lots ? We hand loaders have done that when we buy quantity's of brass or powder. Why ? Its a pride thing we want those bug eye groups produced on our own reloading bench. But for your use, your splitting hairs. That Sako should produce MOA and that will be good enough to get what you want out of your rifle. What is the price on a case of ammo BTW ? What kind of glass does this rifle have on it ?

Here's a couple ammo links that offer some legitimate LR stuff for the 270 WSM, don't know what is in stock but give them a ring. Gunwerks has the 150 VLD's loaded Gunwerks - Ammunition

HSM has Berger 150's and 130's loaded for Best of the West, I have used the 130's and shot them over a crony and they where better than expected as far a ES was concerned and they where right on velocity wise. And you can order bulk!The Hunting Shack, Inc. - 270 WSM

I would order two boxes of each and test them then order a case if one is up to snuff for LR work, one of the guys at work shoot the HSM stuff out of his 7mm and it is very good, I don't think I could much better.

I have a Zeiss conquest 4.5x14x50 with the rapid Z 800.....I agree getting a case would be the same price as a reloading kit but right now I dont have the time to do any load development BUT I will be reloading next year for sure...I just ordered 2 boxes of the hornady custom so I'll see how that goes does anyone have any experience with the accuracy out of them...................................Thanks to EVERYONE for all of the info yall have given me

Last edited:
This day and age its unlikely this ammo won't perform very well. I just can't stomach the price.I actually think I'm getting a headache now just thinking about it ?Oh crap now I'm getting nauseous ! What's happening to me ? I've started sweating,shaking.Just what is that smell ? STOP please stop !!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts