140 Bergers

Gray R

Alright guys help me out. I'm shootin a 6.5x284. When I barely seat my bullet and close
The bolt I come
Up with 3.14. I know it's not perfect but I haven't been able to find the hornady length gauge anywhere. So if I close the bolt and get 3.14 Coal, where should I be trying? I just got done shootin and nothin was tighter than an inch at 100. Front and rear bags and it was indoors so there was no wind gusting. And the barrel has shot well
Enough with other handloads and some
Factory loads. So me and the gun are both capable I just need some help. Thanks in advance

Not ideal indeed. There is a sticky thread specifically about loading the Berger VLD bullet above. Try that out. Every rifle is different so there isn't a hard and fast rule for what will make your rifle love them.

Hey I appreciate it but I ised tht sticky durin this round. I'm
Not
Sure if
I'm gonna switch bullets or
Rebarrel. Either way I think about 500 140 grainers are gonna be up for sale ha

Well maybe a lighter bullet is the answer. What twist is your barrel?? The 130g bullets also have great BC. and are easier to stabilize. Which 140g Berger are you using? I may well be interested in them.

I've got an 8 twist so I don't think that's the problem. It's the 140 hunting vld. I didn't foresee having any trouble so I bought 100 box and then 500 and dumped em all in a Tupperware. So it's probly 550 bullets left.

I'm frankly surprised they don't shoot for you. I run that very bullet from my 9 twist 6.5/06 right at 2900fps. I can go faster, but best accuracy is right there. Maybe take the most accurate load and try a primer switch. I found my load when I switched the primer from federal 210 to CCI 200. Went from a 1" at 100 to dime size. Might be worth a try...

Ya know I hadn't thought of that. I've got
Some 200s here I'll give it a shot. What powder you using?

Best of luck in getting them to shoot! They are a hammer for deer! I haven't had them on game out beyond 400, but it's Terminal Ballistics are efficient and instantly effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.