14 y/o's First Long Range Hunt

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Eaglet, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

14 y/o\'s First Long Range Hunt

William 14 y/o, this year has been target shooting at distances longer than 500 yards. He weighs 190 lbs and likes shooting my 300 RUM using the Harris bipod in the prone position. I had been working some loads for my November Elk hunt and shooting 200 grains Accubond at 3232 ft/s out of the muzzle of my Remington factory barrel. Being that it has no muzzle break, I’m proud of my boy’s ability to shoot it. Just before his mule deer hunt he made a 2 shot 2” group at 677 yards… On the second day of the hunt,10/12/05, he decided to take this small buck at 412 yards away, certainly not impressively long range, but surely long enough for his first long range hunt. I pulled my Dell pocket PC with Exbal already running, gave him the info and he fired… Down he went, the 200 grains broke the spine, and unfortunately it needed a second shot to put an end to it. I still was very proud of him. Latter on I remembered I had make adjustments that did not considered the next day at camp I placed an old shovel close to 400 yards… William fired… it went in a bit low and to the left. Had it been a buck would have been dead… again! I think the boy is hooked!!!
    Young buck... my wife barbequed some venison an boy was it good!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    [​IMG]
    THANK YOU ALL!!!

2. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

Re: 14 y/o\'s First Long Range Hunt

Congradulations to you and William. A dead deer is a dead deer and 412 yards is never a shabby shot. I'm hoping for exactly that this coming weekend.

Now that the boy is hooked it is going to get a bit more expensive. Shooting his old mans gun is alright but the smiles will be even bigger if he does it with his own gun. And then there is all that practice that has to happen.

Hold on to your wallet dad. And again, congrats.

3. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Congrats to you both on the successful hunt. Times like that will be with you forever. My daughter got her first deer at 9 on our family place. We thought it was a doe, but found that it was actually barely a 3 point. At that point the count, didn't matter, the celebration was already underway. Since then she has taken some really nice trophies, as well as a ton of feral hogs and yotes.

I now look forward to spending time in the field with my grandson, who will no doubt be taking up the slack in no time at all. At 4 he is already in charge, as grandkids seem to be. LOL

Good luck on your future hunts,

4. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

4ked Horn,

[ QUOTE ]
    Now that the boy is hooked it is going to get a bit more expensive. Shooting his old mans gun is alright but the smiles will be even bigger if he does it with his own gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, he already has a 243 Winch. and when he learned the limitations energy wise out of the 22" barrell he said he wanted to take it with my gun. He keeps saying the gun belongs to him, that is no longer mine; he says it with such a conviction some times I feel the need to go shopping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif... Allen Mags? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mike / Tx,

[ QUOTE ]
    I now look forward to spending time in the field with my grandson, who will no doubt be taking up the slack in no time at all. At 4 he is already in charge, as grandkids seem to be. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean about being in charge...LOL... My oldest grandson is also four and he wants to date his grandma... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif being in charge is right... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    In Nevada you have to be 12 y/o to hunt big game, two years ago William killed his first deer, last year it went blank.
    Congrats to your daughter, it assures spending some quality time with dad as we all grow older... but wiser... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you both... Best of luck on future hunts.

5. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Eaglet,

Congrats to your son as well as you!!!

Nothing better then a good hunt with family, especially dads and kids!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

6. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

Eaglet

I started each of my kid's Deer hunting at 10 (legal in AR.)
    &amp; we experienced their first kills together. We started at
    close range with small calibers &amp; moved up. Some of my very
    best hunting memories are these hunts &amp; this will be the same for you.
    I am impressed that he handles the 300 so well!
    Best of luck to you &amp; your son!

7. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Fiftydriver,
    Thank you! You're right, it just doesn't get any better. It's vivid in my mind when the shot went off and he heard IT'S DOWN he jumped on his feet so fast, his hands up and the rifle still on the ground supported by the Harris bipod. Excellent memory!

nomosendero,
    I did the same, he started shooting his 243 Winchester, then a 20 gauge shotgun, but not until this year I started training him for long range. It's just a lot of fun!
    Thank you and Good luck to you and yours as well!

8. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Nice shooting! My kid isn't out to that range yet but he is getting better. I'm going to try and get him close for his elk this year and maybe a little longer range on his deer.

9. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

congratulations, the smile on that boys face tells the whole story.

10. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Cowboy,
    Just give the young man some time, he'll get there, time and practice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wish you both the very best of luck on your son's elk and deer hunt!!! Keep us posted!

Dave Wilson,
    You're right! He was pretty happy and proud of himself.
    Thanks!

11. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

I'll have my first anytime now. Hopefully I can convince her to get into the shooting sports.

Despite my efforts, my wife tells me she is too young for a rifle this Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Maybe next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!! There are lots of 1 yr olds w/rifles, right?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Congratulations to William. That is a feat that many hunters never accomplish.

Congrats to Dad for quality time spent with a child.

13. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Bill Bailey,
    LOL... It is possible your wife is right this one time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

buffalobob,
    Thanks!!!