14 to 1 twist

Bill Maylor

I have a Ruger M77II 22-250 26" target barrel. This rifle is stock, so what would be the highest GR bullet for long range shooting this barrel will control? I read in another post you want the highest BC as possable. This is the first rifle I want to HAND load for. Any help would be great. This is a really fun rifle to shoot for me. I have also read you can really dial this cal in. I dont know if the 1 in 14 twist will shoot these heaver bullets, or can you drop the amount of power to stablize the bullet? Bill Maylor.

I have a Ruger M77II 22-250 26" target barrel. This rifle is stock, so what would be the highest GR bullet for long range shooting this barrel will control? I read in another post you want the highest BC as possable. This is the first rifle I want to HAND load for. Any help would be great. This is a really fun rifle to shoot for me. I have also read you can really dial this cal in. I dont know if the 1 in 14 twist will shoot these heaver bullets, or can you drop the amount of power to stablize the bullet? Bill Maylor.

Bill.

At 22-250 velocities the 1 in 14 twist will shoot the 55 gr very good. the 60 gr may be OK but
it depends on your rifle.

The 1 in 14 twist was designed for 55gr bullets and down. mine loves the 52 gr hp.

Now that there are much heaver bullets you may have to go to a 1 in 12 or even a 1 in 10twist.

The 223s are using 1in7 or 1in8 twist but they are much slower than the 22-250 or the Swift.

I have a 223 WSSM I'm testing and with a 1 in 15 twist it seems to be capable of shooting
the 64 gr with good accuracy (the velocity so far is 3922ft/sec and an SD of 0006.

So velocity has a lot to do with whether it will work or not.

Just an opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.