1350 Yard PA Buck Video

Wow. Don't let ATH see this or you'll never hear the end of it.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have tried that shot just because of all the trees in the way, but I wasn't there and I don't know anything about the hunt or the fellow doing the shooting so it's hard to say for sure. Certainly I'm not going to judge anybody over it. I like to see something new anytime I can. Thanks for posting it.

goodgrouper, Who is the ATH?

We hunt from mountain to mountain here in PA. We are sitting high on the mountains and looking mostly down through the trees. You always have to try to be aware of the limbs and how the bullets going to arc. The first shot on the buck we hit the dead limb hanging above the deer. That limb is actually about 50 yards in front of the deer down the mountain. If you watch my other videos you'll see we don't get wide open shots like some places out west. This is how we hunt, I've been doing it now for 20 years. The video deteriorates the quality of what you really can see. We kill deer this way every year from 500 yards out to a mile sometimes. We learned to contend with the trees but you have to be ready to shoot when the shot presents itself. Thanks for watching.

goodgrouper, Who is the ATH?

We hunt from mountain to mountain here in PA. We are sitting high on the mountains and looking mostly down through the trees. You always have to try to be aware of the limbs and how the bullets going to arc. The first shot on the buck we hit the dead limb hanging above the deer. That limb is actually about 50 yards in front of the deer down the mountain. If you watch my other videos you'll see we don't get wide open shots like some places out west. This is how we hunt, I've been doing it now for 20 years. The video deteriorates the quality of what you really can see. We kill deer this way every year from 500 yards out to a mile sometimes. We learned to contend with the trees but you have to be ready to shoot when the shot presents itself. Thanks for watching.

Just as I thought. You make do with what you have and learn to get around it the best you can. I'm not comfortable shooting through tree branches but I haven't practiced it for 20 years either.

ATH is a fellow member here who believes you should only take one shot on any game animal no matter what the distance and if it doesn't connect, then you should abruptly end the hunt and go home. He's not living here on Earth where "you know what" can and does happen. If you look at the tail end of my thread in the long range hunting section here titled, "cow elk at 1410 yards", you can read his theories of how it ought to be done. Prepare for a good laugh.

GG,
don't worry about ATH (aka spaniel on huntingnet.com) he argues on the side of LRH (on HNI, not much is known about it yet) till someone posts about a kill beyond 683 yards, (his longest) then he may as well be an anti, its just jealousy!
ya should read some stuff he posts, his elk at 683 showed no reaction to 4 hits from a 200 gr accubond, he had an experienced spotter,
Did you know a 200 gr AB will not knock dust or cut hair at 683 yards? I've watched hair fly through the mark 4 at right at twice that far.........ya can't do much to fix stupid.
RR

Kevin
Thanks for the video and a great shot!

RR
Your very polite on your remark about ath, of coarse I can't print what I want to say.

Kevin and RR your always welcome at my campfire.

IP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.