130 grain 6.5mm Cutting Edge Bullet

Long Time Long Ranger

I have been testing the new 130 grain 6.5mm Cutting Edge bullet in my 264 STW and 264 Win Mag the past week with excellent results. The bullet is very long and longer than 140 grain lead core bullets therefore the high bc and recommended requirement of a 1-8 twist barrel. They look like little mini missiles. Both rifles shot the bullet extremely well under .5 moa at 500 yards. The 264 STW has a 28" Hart barrel and the 264 Winchester a 26" Hart barrel.

The best load in the STW was 82.6 grains Retumbo with a velocity average of 3702 fps. The best group was at the 400 yard target where it shot two through the same hole and the third 1.2" low right of the other two. The oal was 3.871" on the best group which was .022" clearance for the seal tight band. It made contact at 3.893" oal.

The 264 win mag had a best load of 68 grains Winchester WMR powder with an average velocity of 3418 fps. The other good load with this rifle was 70 grains of Magpro at 3406 fps. That seemed to be the top velocity range in this rifle before the loads and groups got unstable. Accuracy held .5 moa with both loads.

This picture shows from left to right the 123 grain Hornady Amax, 129 Hornady SST, 130 grain Cutting Edge and 140 grain Sierra for comparison. The 130 grain CE is longer than 140 grain lead core bullets giving it the high bc.

mcmln fmly 048.jpg

I have only tried these on targets and did not have them for last hunting season. I don't think they were out last hunting season.

I listed the coal for the STW but forgot for the win mag. I will get my data sheet and see. Both actions are Sako. I have shot CE bullets in several calibers with various seating depths. They seem to be like the Barnes ttsx and are the least critical to seating depth of most bullets I have shot. They like to be off the lands like the ttsx. I have shot them from .005" off contact to seating the seal tight band well down in the case .1+" off the contact point with the barrel. I have seen them shoot well at a wide range of seating depths however with some rifles I have dialed them in for extreme accuracy. I think what these guys say on the web page is accurate from all the ones I have tested. Start about .025" off the seal tight band and go from there. These are extremely long bullets in all calibers so for them to feed through most magazines you have to seat the seal tight band well into the case which I have. I still got good accuracy. I always have repeaters in my magazine so I test them against my long range bullets which are not repeaters. I want to know how far I can accurately shoot the repeaters for quick shots with no time to set up a long range round. In the rifles I have tried that the deep seated bullets were easily accurate with the long seated bullets to give hits to several hundred yards.

Last edited:
LTLR, thanks for the confidence booster. I have 100 of these awaiting testing in my 6.5WSM that should be in my hands by months end. The last I looked, the CEB website had posted an approx. BC on the 130, have you been out far enough to proved any solid BC #'s for it yet?

I have a few questions being that I just purchased some of these. The way I understand it is the seal ring is NOT to be in contact with the throat when seated?? AND the ogive of the bullet contacting the lands has nothing to do with it because it will not make contact with the lands?? Also the sealing ring should not be damage or pushed into the neck of the case?? Educate me please

Cutting Edge Bullets

They give you some leeway in their instructions and there is also a desired fit.

The rear of the STB would be seated against the case mouth.

When chambered, the front of the STB would be about .025" from contacting the freebore. The DB would be resting in the freebore and would be more than .025" from contacting the throat. The borerider will be resting in the bore.

When fired the DB would not make contact with the throat until after the STB has fully entered the freebore.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.