13 year old, first deer @ 330 yards

RDM416

My 13 year old daughter got her first deer under her belt last Friday. She shot a whitetail doe at 330 yards with my 338 Khan with a 225 grain Cutting Edge bullet. It was a perfect shot tucked in tight behind the shoulder.

This was the first critter shot since I started trying the 225 CE bullets. The bullet did not hit any bone in or out. The lungs were jelly and the wound channel was pretty impressive. Problem is, she still ran 200 yards. I am used to seeing hits like this just drop them with 250 or 300 SMKs or 300 Bergers. It was a small deer and no bone hit so I'm not going to draw any conclusions until I try them out on another critter or two.

My 13 year old daughter got her first deer under her belt last Friday. She shot a whitetail doe at 330 yards with my 338 Khan with a 225 grain Cutting Edge bullet. It was a perfect shot tucked in tight behind the shoulder.

This was the first critter shot since I started trying the 225 CE bullets. The bullet did not hit any bone in or out. The lungs were jelly and the wound channel was pretty impressive. Problem is, she still ran 200 yards. I am used to seeing hits like this just drop them with 250 or 300 SMKs or 300 Bergers. It was a small deer and no bone hit so I'm not going to draw any conclusions until I try them out on another critter or two.
Congrats. Nothing like success to get a kid hooked!

Congratulations to both you and your daughter.:) That's great!

338 Kahn........what the heck is that? Seems I've heard of it before, but I don't recall for sure. How fast you shooting that 225?

Assuming you've got a brake on it, she must not mind the recoil?

Congrats!
the .338 Kahn holds about 10 gr more powder than the .338-378 wby but with a 35 degree shoulder. I don't know what velocity the OP has with the 225's but it'll spit a 300 gr. to 3100 and then some easily. hth

SBruce, Like Bowstryder said, the 338 Khan is a 338/378 "improved". I am running the 225 CEs at 3400 fps. I have run them up to a little over 3450 but it starts to beat my brass up pretty good.

The rifle does have a brake. It was built by Kirby and has one of his PK brakes on it. It also weighs in at almost 17 lbs so with the brake and the weight recoil is pretty mild. She shoots competitive small bore, air rifle, sporting clays, and 3D archery so she knows her way around a trigger.:)

Congrats Dad. Better get on the stick and get you that supercharged 338 soon, sounds like your daughter will be ready for some more HP soon!!!

Tell her congrats and great shot.

The behavior of your deer is similiar to most deer I have seen or heard of being shot with a monolithic style bullet such as the Barnes X or TSX bullets. The penetration velocity remains so high it seems that very little energy is transferred into the animal unless a support bone is hit. Certainly plenty of soft tissue damage but they always seem to cover some ground after the hit.

Thanks Kirby and Bravo 4. You are right Kirby, I think you and I need to talk soon about something to put under the Christmas tree for her next year. :Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.