125 Matchking modification for hunting use in the 300 BLK?

slickyboyboo

Has anyone thought about or tried modifying the 125 gr .308 SMKs by trimming the meplat to more like the gamekings? I would figure with a larger meplat and the thinner jacket of the Matchking, it should open well at the lower velocities experienced with the 300 Blackout.

Interesting idea. Let me know if you try it and how it works.

I've settled on Berger 155 gr Hunting VLD's for my supersonic 300BLK loads (I manage to push it to 2050 fps sitting on 19.5 grains of A1680). Very accurate and good expansion (but not cheap). Obviously not as flat shooting as a 125 grain, but IMHO the 155 grain family with the higher b.c. seems to be the sweet spot for downrange energy for this round.

Thanks for the link to the parallel thread...I'll post here re: 155 grain and watch the other for your test results.

I've go a few 300BLK rigs (in fact, might need to thin the ranks a little)

Rem 700 AAC-SD, 16" barrel, 1:7
AR, 16", 1:8
AR, 10.5", 1:8

Right now all my data is out of my 16" guns.

In addition to more down range energy (on paper anyway), another reason I went with the 155 grain loads was to make a little better use of my Nikon Scope with the BDC when switching between super and sub-loads. I had found that zeroing for the lighter 110-125 grain bullets left me needing too much hold-over for subs to make use of the BDC reticle(s).

I just got a magnetospeed and plan to do a little more accurate MV recording with it.

FWIW-I seem to have lost 220 fps on my supersonic loads going from my 16" AR down to my 10.5". Price you pay to save a little weight I suppose. The real question is do I want to have two subsonic loads....If I add powder to to stay around 1050 fps in the 10.5" I have a feeling those loads will be supersonic out of my 16" guns.

Ah well, tinkering is fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.