.12 caliber wildcat

combatcurt

Guys, I know this isn't a long range cartridge but I actually have a .12 caliber wildcat necked down from a 222 rem. looking for any ideas on what kind of powder I can try with it and if anybody has QuickLoad software and if there is any info out there. The rifle was bought in an estate sale from a widow and the woman said it was shot more than a couple times with success. Please help! Btw my bullets are 11.3 gr full copper and my barrel is 1:5.8

Guys, I know this isn't a long range cartridge but I actually have a .12 caliber wildcat necked down from a 222 rem. looking for any ideas on what kind of powder I can try with it and if anybody has QuickLoad software and if there is any info out there. The rifle was bought in an estate sale from a widow and the woman said it was shot more than a couple times with success. Please help! Btw my bullets are 11.3 gr full copper and my barrel is 1:5.8

Try H335 or H110 In the Quick load software. And it should get you started.

There was a 12 Eichelberger that used 13.0+ grains of H335 if you can find any data on it.
And also a 12 cooper that used 6 to 7 grains of Win 680 with 10 to 12 grain bullets.

All of the other 10 and 12 caliber cartridges that I know about were Rim Fire cases.

I hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

What exactly makes h335 unique? The closest I have to that burn rate is IMR 4064. I might just rebar rebarrel it anyway.

It is nothing special just the powder that was used .

J E CUSTOM
  1. Here is a 5 year old update! I saved myself a lot of trouble and bought a lathe and milling machine. This .12 is now a nice shooting .223 AI
I figured I would time travel a little bit and say thanks again for the help anyway!

1. Here is a 5 year old update! I saved myself a lot of trouble and bought a lathe and milling machine. This .12 is now a nice shooting .223 AI
I figured I would time travel a little bit and say thanks again for the help anyway!

One reason H 335 was used is because it is a ball powder unlike 4064
which is Extruded/stick powder and uses more room in small cases.

I have a 223 AI and it appears that H 335 will out perform all other powders because I can get a Max Load when using the 30 and 35 grain bullets because ball powder is more compact. My 40 grain load in the 223 AI has exceeded 3900 ft/sec and the 35 grain load is pushing 4000 with very little trouble. future testing will include the 30 grain bullet and I will see where that leads me.

I use Lapua brass and it has less volume because of it's thickness and Has only slightly more case capacity in the AI form than other brands
of 223 rem.

J E CUSTOM

One reason H 335 was used is because it is a ball powder unlike 4064
which is Extruded/stick powder and uses more room in small cases.

I have a 223 AI and it appears that H 335 will out perform all other powders because I can get a Max Load when using the 30 and 35 grain bullets because ball powder is more compact. My 40 grain load in the 223 AI has exceeded 3900 ft/sec and the 35 grain load is pushing 4000 with very little trouble. future testing will include the 30 grain bullet and I will see where that leads me.

I use Lapua brass and it has less volume because of it's thickness and Has only slightly more case capacity in the AI form than other brands
of 223 rem.

J E CUSTOM
I'm also shooting h335 but with the 40gr VMAX. Best powder for this imo. Which 30 gr bullet are you using?

I'm also shooting h335 but with the 40gr VMAX. Best powder for this imo. Which 30 gr bullet are you using?

I am using the Barns Varmint Grenade. Still trying different primers. Will post the results as soon as I see a difference. I'm still trying to find Federal 205 M primers because I hear they have an advantage over the others. Best to date is the Rem 7 1/2s.

How about you. What primers do you prefer ?

J E CUSTOM

I am using the Barns Varmint Grenade. Still trying different primers. Will post the results as soon as I see a difference. I'm still trying to find Federal 205 M primers because I hear they have an advantage over the others. Best to date is the Rem 7 1/2s.

How about you. What primers do you prefer ?

J E CUSTOM
About 5 years ago, all I could find was CCI, so naturally, I irresponsibly bought as many as I could and added to the shortage of components here in Washington. Moving on... So I I developed loads for several rifles and couldn't get myself to buy anything else. I still haven't had to buy primers and I should have enough to last another 5 years. I do however use federal large pistol in my 45ACP.

I have a 22-243 win reamer and a couple sssslllllloooooowwwww twist .224 blanks... Those Varmint Grenades might have to make their way into my shop. I wonder if they would disappear mid flight?

About 5 years ago, all I could find was CCI, so naturally, I irresponsibly bought as many as I could and added to the shortage of components here in Washington. Moving on... So I I developed loads for several rifles and couldn't get myself to buy anything else. I still haven't had to buy primers and I should have enough to last another 5 years. I do however use federal large pistol in my 45ACP.

I have a 22-243 win reamer and a couple sssslllllloooooowwwww twist .224 blanks... Those Varmint Grenades might have to make their way into my shop. I wonder if they would disappear mid flight?

That's the reason I am still testing. My rifle has a 1 in 8 twist barrel and I am working up in velocity to see if the bullets can handle that twist. (The rifle was built for 69 grain bullets but I later wanted to try something faster)

So far they have reached 4,000 ft/sec with good accuracy and my goal
is 4,200 +. We will see.

J E CUSTOM

That's the reason I am still testing. My rifle has a 1 in 8 twist barrel and I am working up in velocity to see if the bullets can handle that twist. (The rifle was built for 69 grain bullets but I later wanted to try something faster)

So far they have reached 4,000 ft/sec with good accuracy and my goal
is 4,200 +. We will see.

J E CUSTOM
That sounds like a lot of fun. I shoot the 69 smks in my 22-243 and I'm getting a hair over 3650. Incredible accuracy. I won a 600 yard match with is in Washington state. The group was 2 3/4" 10 shots. Now I'm bragging, but that is my only accomplishment with benchrest shooting.
FB_IMG_1538175141913.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.