11yr old boy 530yd shot

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DCGS, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DCGS

DCGS <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

A friend took me down to his farm in eastern NC for some long range doe shooting this afternoon. We set up between 2 fields I was covering one on the left he was on the right. The first deer came out ten minutes after getting set Jet ranged the deer at 731 yds. I dialed in the distance in my nightforce on top of my 7rum that Nate at SSG fixed for me which Joel Russo then bedded and then touched off a 162 Amax. The doe hit the ground. Before we stopped watching this deer another one walked out at 530yds. His 11 yr old son took over and bang another one hit the ground. Some kind of nerves for a 11 yr old. Now for my host to get a shot. In the field he was watching there must have been 10 to 12 deer in it. He was set up with his 270 Allen Mag and touched of and once again dead deer. This was about as much fun as a man can have with good friends watching a young man getting started and enjoying our sport. If I can figure out how I will post some pictures of our set up. It was real simple at that distance the deer don't even know you are there. Thanks to my host for a fantastic time Dan Glover

2. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Very nice shooting, congratulations to you all! Congratulations specially to the 11yr old friend, that's some shooting!!!:)

3. jimbo300

jimbo300 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great afternoon. That 11 yr old must be a pretty cool customer. If you can post some pics, I never get tired of looking at fine rifles and game animals.:)

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Glover,

Good goin'.

What was being shot in that 270 AM, bullet, powder primer. etc.

5. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Now that's the way it's supposed to work.

Congratulations to that young boy, and thanks for sharing your knowledge with him. He's off to a good start

E-mail me your pictures and I'll post them for you.

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Great hunt. Is there a picture of the rifle?

7. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Here you are Dan..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DCGS

DCGS <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

Thanks for the replies That 11yr old boy is on cloud 9 especially after Joel put the pics up for me. His Dad said he thinks he is like Michael Waddell now There is nothing better for confidence than other peoples praise Think about what he will go back to school when show and tell comes up Thanks Dan

9. Jerry M

Jerry M Well-Known Member

Congratulations, good shooting.

10. Magnumpeanut

Magnumpeanut Well-Known Member

I can't wait till my boys are old enough to take hunting.

Congrats all!