111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

That's an easy excuse "operator error"... Well anytime I can't make rifle to shoot straight either can't Savage, Howa or TC and its always same thing bad faulty barrel which requires replacement... Because I tried all I can with my handloads and all failed, factory ammo they use doesn't have a chance...

I bought this same rifle about 2 months back, mounted a Nikon 6-18X40mm mildot Buckmaster scope on it and took it to the range. Started at 50 yards and had it zeroed in 5 shots. I was using cheap Winchester Super X 180 grain bullets and the last 3 shots were touching each other. I switched to 200 yards and got a 1" 3 shot group right off the bat, so no complaints there.

Once I got the overall length gauge from Hornady and measured the chamber, I reloaded 50 cartridges with 165 grain Hornady BTSP and 68.5 grains of IMR 4831 with a COAL of 3.36". First trip to the range I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measured .6" If I turn the muzzle brake off, bullets shift 4" to the right at 100 yards. With the muzzle brake on, the .300 Winchester Magnum shoots with less kick than a 30-06. I can't wait to take it to my uncle's property and test it out to 500 yards when the weather gets warmer. It's a good gun, and I really hope Savage makes it right for you.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum as well as long range shooting so forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but here it goes. I recently purchased a savage long range hunter in a 7mm rem mag and have been dealing with issues ever since! I purchased this feb 2012 & have had several issues with the rifle that just shouldn't happen. First it took me three different QUALITY scopes and several different sets of bases & rings to find out that whomever was working "drill the receiver day" couldn't line up the holes correctly. I had to go to windage adjustable rings to get the scope to hit the paper without running out of adjustment to the left! The free floated barrel is not free floated as the stock was hitting the barrel by the forend! Definition of accuracy well let's see how can I explain this? umm no freakin way!!! I called savage regarding the holes on the receiver & they told me to send it back they will keep it for 6-8 weeks and they will look into it. When I did some research I pretty much found out that unless windage adjustable rings couldn't solve the issue the gun would be returned. Well to me this is not acceptable, if the holes are off then there off and should be corrected! If you have an accustock with a free floated barrel then the barrel should be free floated! If you state definition of accuaracy then before that gun is placed into a box a shipped it should not have any defects, it should be double checked first! Let's face it, this gun is coming from a mfg. that is trying to re-build it's reputation! or maybe not!? Lucky for me a good friend of mine whom is working up some berger 180's for me is also great at working on guns & solving problems! The gun is finally shooting sub-moa groups at a 100 yards! My point to my little rant & rave is the common joe whom is busting his/her butt to buy a so called quality gun should not have to go through this and savage should be double checking it's product before they ship it out! I guess I should have purchased a weatherby vanguard series 2 that is half the price! & they actually shoot there gun and guarantee sub-moa at a 100 yards with a 3 shot group before it leaves there factory! Would I buy a savage product again? Not a chance! Good luck to all the shooters out there & stay safe!!!

Brad.....sorry to hear about all your problems. From what I've heard, this is not typical of Savage. This of course does not help you at all! If it were me, I would INSIST on a new rifle; not one that was jury rigged to shoot.......Rich

Rich,
Believe me if it wasn't for the fact that it's finally shooting sub-moa I would. At this point I'm just disgusted with savage. I'm starting to hear from reading this forum as well as others that savage may be slipping a bit in the QC area! I guess I have lost faith with savage! I'm looking at buying a 300 wm but it won't be made by savage! Thanks Rich.

This thread got my attention. It seems Savage QC is not very good, and its Customer Service is even worse.

I was leaning toward buying a 111 Long Range Hunter in 300WM. But now I am thinking I should start on a cheap used Savage to build my own, instead of gambling with $900 to start with.

This thread got my attention. It seems Savage QC is not very good, and its Customer Service is even worse.

I was leaning toward buying a 111 Long Range Hunter in 300WM. But now I am thinking I should start on a cheap used Savage to build my own, instead of gambling with $900 to start with.

It seems the magnums in the LRH are the problem. Not sure what is going on at Savage, but I think you have the right idea. I am a Savage fan and have built my own rifle with a Savage action. You can definitely get a hold of an old action and make it your own. The clean up well and shoot even better. A good barrel, and a trigger will give you what you want. I suggest Stockade Stocks for your rifle. They are very sturdy and the guy that builds them specializes in stocks for Savages.

Tank

I think you are on the right track, after all I gabled with no luck with 3 of their rifles, so I would recommend buying Savage action alone, then pick a stock of you choice and the barrel...

I think you are on the right track, after all I gabled with no luck with 3 of their rifles, so I would recommend buying Savage action alone, then pick a stock of you choice and the barrel...

Yeah, I see this as the best option too. I would think they would want to be more customer friendly as they seem to keep up with what customers are looking for. Guess you can't get everything. I like building off the Savage action. It is really easy and don't need a lathe.

I love my modle 111 300 win-mag. i put a ziess z-plex 1000 scope on it built up a perfect load and now shooting 500 to 1000 yards with it.Now iam learning to dope the wind at those ranges what a BLAST--------cant weight for hunting season.some time i notice with my bi-pod on that the forearm of the stock touches the barrel slightly but it doesent afect my group at long range :):):)

.some time i notice with my bi-pod on that the forearm of the stock touches the barrel slightly but it doesent afect my group at long range
I suggest taking the barreled action out of the stock then with sandpaper wrapped around something round that fits, then remove enough stock material to get at least 1/16th inch clearance all the way around the barrel. If the stock's fore end bends enough, you may need 3/32 or 1/8 inch clearance. Doing so will ensure the fore end won't warp from temperature and humidity changes and touch the barrel as well as bending from sling tension or other position holding means.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to test the Savage water by building on a 110 long action. 260REM is what I have in mind. I know it is a short action cartridge, but I could load longer bullets by using a long action.

338winmag , Please post some pictures of the targets so we can see them and check the bedding and the action screws , scope mounts etc....Hell post the shooter and gun and conditions too. We all would like to be the shooting the gun too, so we can diagnose your problem. have you gone over the gun and have you and several others shot the gun ? Savage will take the the gun back and test fire it . They will even make a pick up tag for it and UPS will show up for it so it costs you nothing to have it looked at. Get ahold of savage and tell them you want it looked at. There are several gunsmiths that could find the problem but why pay any more money out. Let savage take a look at it.:cool:

I build my 260REM out of Savage 110 action from my old 270 WIN, if you looking for Savage action, you can buy Stevens which uses same exact action and it cost much less... As far as Savage rifles their major problem I encountered was their barrels, here's their 12 LRP thats target rifle...

crown1.jpg

Pillars which do not support action...

savpillar1.jpg

Chamber probably cut by rat-tail file....

6mmchamber3.jpg

boltface rubbing up-against barrel

6mmchamber1.jpg

and fired brass looking like this, which was useless after first firing...

6mmnorma5.jpg

and 300 yard target....

p1050336.jpg

when my 500 yard groups usually no more then this

6brtarget1.jpg

or 100 yards group

scaled.php

cbi6mmnorma18.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts