110 ba .338 lapua

bman73

First off Hi to all from a new member. Have been a hunter for years and am now wanting to get into long range shooting. Was originally planning on using my main big (well big to me anyways) hunting rifle, a custom built .358 Norma mag. Was thinking that if I loaded up a bunch of 225 grn rounds and really screamed em out it would be effective at the 1000 yrd range. Right up untill I saw that dam savage. Now I am about to order one, after reading reviews on them I am virtually convinced that it's the best bang for my buck (no pun intended............. well okay maybe a little intended). Before I go and actually commit to it I would like to know if anyone has any actual first hand experience with it and what they think of it. Any and all comments appreciated

Haven't shot one but have looked them over quite extensively so telling you how they shoot I can't. If your a Black Gun person it should be pretty easy to transition into one of these.
Things I liked about it were.
The adjustable stock isn't bad. Makes it easy to adjust for prone shooting.
It comes with a 20MOA scope base on it.
The way the action sits in the aluminum stock should make it pretty solid.
Comes with a Muzzle Break installed.
Barrel is easy to change.
Trigger should be fairly good.

Things I didn't like.
The aluminum stock and the action are pretty much married together which when you lift the bolt and close it the sound is actually amplified by the stock and its really noisy. I like things a bit quieter than that.
The tactical scope base for civilian use is worthless to me. I would change it in a heartbeat for something like a plain old pic rail that is less obtrusive.
Not sure how well the Muzzle Break will work but no problem, it also can be changed. Still better than nothing though.
All in all its a decent package gun that if it shoots well should be a good entry level long range rifle that can scratch the immediate itch and do it at a reasonable rate.

The reason I'm not going with the Savage is the weight. It is 15+ lbs as is without scope! That said, the Remington 700p 338Lap MLR fits my needs perfectly and is 4-500$ cheaper than the Savage. I feel the Remington is the best bang for the buck in 338 Lapua.:)

thanks for the info. the weight is not an issue for me as I have no intention of using this one for hunting, unless a moose happens to walk across the range when I'm there that is, not too likley I'm sure lol. The main reason I have decided to go with the savage is because of the way it looks, kind of a unique looking gun, for around here anyways. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't throwing away 2grand because I thought it looked cool. I do however find myself second guessing the scope I just bought off flea bay though, but thats a whole nother thread there, once again thanks for the input

Though I've not shot one, I have handled one. They are a neat piece of equipment. I have shot a 338 Lapua on a Savage Target action that shoots very well. I have read that the break for the 110/ BA works extremely well, but not to nice for those standing around. If your at a range, shoot at the last table, or make sure both tables on either side of you are clear. The action they use is a BAT action, which in the competition world is a good one. The construction is very rugged and should stand up to some abuse. Since you are just using it for recreational shooting, should be and outstanding rifle. I own a couple of Savages, and this one is on the wish list of future purchases, or what ever is available at the time I decide to go that route.

It is a little noisy with the clip and bolt lock up, but for me that is a non-issue. Buy it and let us know how it does. Kind of curious about the scope you purchased though. Anyhow, let us know what you decide.

Tank

The scope I picked up is a Millett Tactical 6-25x56mm SF with the mil dot recticle and the 1/8 moa. I did a real quick search on some reveiws before I bid on it which seemed to be glowing, great optics holds zero real well, yadda yadda yadda. Then after I put my bid in and won I looked some more into into it a found a buch of other people who had problems after 50 shots or so it would hold focus or zero anymore. It is at least brand new so I can send it in for repair I guess if I have the same problem. And yes I know it's not a high end scope but for the moment a Nightforce or Sightron which I would prefer are out of the price range.

The scope I picked up is a Millett Tactical 6-25x56mm SF with the mil dot recticle and the 1/8 moa. I did a real quick search on some reveiws before I bid on it which seemed to be glowing, great optics holds zero real well, yadda yadda yadda. Then after I put my bid in and won I looked some more into into it a found a buch of other people who had problems after 50 shots or so it would hold focus or zero anymore. It is at least brand new so I can send it in for repair I guess if I have the same problem. And yes I know it's not a high end scope but for the moment a Nightforce or Sightron which I would prefer are out of the price range.

Actually that scope was on my highly considered list. When I started to set up for long range, I was truly interested in the exact same scope. What kept me away was the 1/8moa. Now I see they make the same scope with 1/4moa adjustments. They are pretty decent scopes. They own Weaver or vice verse. I forget which. Anywho, don't knock it till you try it. Some people have had some good results using your scope. In its initial make they had a few bugs. From what I here customer service is good and they will get you straight if you have any problems. I am still some what interested in there LRS. It may prove to be a good scope.

As far as high end, yeah its nice to have them if you can afford them, but there are some low price (not necessarily low end) scopes that fill the bill until we can afford them. Right now I own a Vortex Viper w/ target dot. So far, so good, but only time on the range will tell. Let us know how things work out.

Tank

Are you hung up on a .338 Lapua? I just say that because I shoot a .338 RUM and it is pricey (not like a 50 or 408). If your not going for down range energy you can probably get by with a 7mm that will do almost as well with the wind and be alot cheaper to shoot. I love my .338 and will always own one, but if I was going stricktly for targets it wouldnt be my first choice.
For your originall question, I have handled the 110BA .338 Lapua and they are nice. i dont know if thats the route I would go, but they are nice and probably shoot well. if they didnt I dont think that Savage would make them. I keep kicking myself for not going custom of the batt.

I do my own reloading so I can definately help keep the costs down on the shooting end of it, but the main reason that I've decided to go this route is because of the unique factor. The 7mm mag is fairly common for this area and I was going for a stand out factor with it as well. I am purposly staying away from going custom again because it always ends up costing way more than you originally planned on, over 4 grand into my hunting rifle as it sits right now and there ain't no way in hell the wife will let me blow that kind of money on gun that I won't even hunt with lol. The 338 lapua chambering is not so much for downrange energy as the smile factor when I squeeze one off, pretty sure that I'm not the only on here that feels that way. Once again thanks to all for the input.

If your looking for something that will stand out it certainly will do that. :) I myself am not a black gun person and am going a different direction with my .338 big boy build but I sure looked hard at that gun. I liked the stock adjustments on it a lot. I'm also going to use a Savage action to build off of and am just waiting to get the gun paid off so I can start the build. There are a number of things about that gun your looking at that should make it very competitive and #1 is the stock and the way its mounted. in it. Good luck on your purchase. Also I have heard some good reviews on the Millet scope. Keep us posed on how it does.

Well I finnally did the deed today, wentdown to the dealer that I decided to go with and worked out a final price on it and put down my deposit. Now justa waiting game till it finnaly shows up. Not too sure what part was worse, trying to decide wether or not to buy it or now the waiting for it to get here. Thanks to all for the input on the gun and scope and I'll keep you all posted when I geta chance to play with it.:)

Well I finnally did the deed today, wentdown to the dealer that I decided to go with and worked out a final price on it and put down my deposit. Now justa waiting game till it finnaly shows up. Not too sure what part was worse, trying to decide wether or not to buy it or now the waiting for it to get here. Thanks to all for the input on the gun and scope and I'll keep you all posted when I geta chance to play with it.:)

Sweet, can't wait to hear.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.