110 accubond and h4350

aggie99

I am trying to work up a load for a Ruger #1 in 25-06. Can anyone tell me the max load for a 110 grain accubond over h4350? 4350 seems to be the most accurate powder out of this gun. I am currently using 48 grains with 0 signs of pressure. Thanks for any info.

I don't know yet. I have borrowed a chrony and will be getting some velocities this weekend. I have a load using 59g of Retumbo also but the accuracy is better with the H4350.

Thanks for the info

As a tangent, I also have a load for 117 grain Hornady interlock SST's. Can any one comment on their terminal performance?

Thanks

Its getting about 3070 with H4350 and about 1/2" groups. I'm getting 3250 with 59 grains of Retumbo and about .75" groups. All the loads shot from prone with a harris bipod and a rolled jacket for a rear support.

Nice...

I'd almost go with the Retumbo load...Doubt you'll notice .25" in the field...Additional 200fps is nice on the receiving end of things...

Try the 2 loads at longer ranges and see how they compare in accuracy. Thats what I would do to determine which load I would end up using...

Its getting about 3070 with H4350 and about 1/2" groups. I'm getting 3250 with 59 grains of Retumbo and about .75" groups. All the loads shot from prone with a harris bipod and a rolled jacket for a rear support.

3250 fps with Retumbo - Impressive. I am only getting 3325 in my 257 Wby using the same bullet and 74.0 of H1000 out of a 24" vangaurd barrel.

One thing I found with my Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem is that it is important to neck size only and put a clocking mark on the case head. My 6mm shoots into the 3's.

Sounds like you are there with the 110AB. Good hunting!

I get 3260fps with 58.5g Retumbo and a 115g VLD from my 24" shilen barreled 25-06 and 2-2.5" groups at 400 yards. Retumbo is IMPRESSIVE to say the least with heavier bullets in the 25-06.

You may want to try playing with your COL. You might be able to get her shooting a little tighter.

JD338

I've been seating the bullets .025 off the lands. I might slowly work them out to the lands and see what happens to accuracy.

Reply to the question about the 117 Hornady SST. It is an accurate bullet but for 100 to 200 pound deer I think they are a little tough. They hold together and will shoot through both shoulders of a deer even at 50 yards. I like a little softer bullet myself. I like the 117 Sierra pro hunter out of my 25-06. I have had deer run off a little ways after taking a 117 SST through the front shoulders and so has my hunting buddy. This almost never happens with the 117 Sierra, BANG FLOP. I shoot 49 grs. IMR or AA 4350 (I get the same POI and velocity is about the same, average 3000 fps). Rem. case and CCI 250 Mag. primer with the 117's. This load will do 1 inch 5 shot groups average at 300 yards from my 700 Rem. action 26 inch #6 Shilen barrel from the bench. Try the Mag. primers with your loads. I could not get my rifle to shoot much under an inch at 100 yards with any Regular LR primer. When I tried the CCI 250's BINGO it started shooting bug hole groups. My buddy shoots 52 grs. H-4831, Rem. case, CCI-BR2 primer with the 117's. I have killed well over 200 deer with everything from a bow through a 45-70 and I have never found anything that kills them like a 25-06 with a Sierra 100 or 117 gr. bullet. To let you know where I am coming from with this knowledge I helped my buddy control hunt a big farm in East NC where we had to kill 100 deer a year for control purposes for 13 years. We found out what kills deer well and what does not. They do not have that program anymore but we still hunt the same farm and they now have unlimited doe permits so my bullet and caliber experimentation goes on.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. RT2506, thanks for the input on the Hornady bullets. I have shot deer with the Hornady light mags and the bullets (interbonds I think) blow apart on impact, and did not do a very good job of putting the deer down. I have read a lot of good reviews of the accubond on this sight and am hoping the interlock sst's will do well also. I am getting about about 3000 +- ft/s with 47.7 gr H4350 and good accuracy. Also I am using Rem 9 1/2 mag primers and Rem brass. Alot of the brass is once fired given to me by a co worker. I full size the first time and neck size only until the brass starts binding up a little when loading. I am relatively new to reloading and have learned alot from this site. Now I just deer season to open...

I have been getting good groups out of my Stevens 200 using the 110gr Accubond and 57grains of Retumbo. I don't know what my velocity is, I wish I did. I haven't tried playing with the C.O.L yet either. But .679" at 100 yards out of a $299 rifle isn't too bad.

Agg,
the Nosler AB is the next bullet I'm gonna work on in my Savage 25-06, the ballistics are excellent. I've been working with Sierra 117-gr SBT's and are pretty nice, still working on my seating depths . I have been using 50 gr RE-22 for these bullets, book says 50.5 max so if you use the 110-gr bullets might want to start off a little lighter..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts