105gr berger VLD

Loner hit that dead on, a 4 groove krieger or brux will be harder on them than a conventional 6 grove, yet a 5R or 5C will be even harder on them due to the angle of the lands, but as far as how much the lands are cutting in a 3 groove lilja is the worst, and they are usually slower velocity wise but they make up for it in accuracy and ease of cleaning. I favor 4 groove cut rifling myself, but everyone has a preference.

a 4 groove krieger or brux will be harder on them than a conventional 6 grove, yet a 5R or 5C will be even harder on them due to the angle of the lands, but as far as how much the lands are cutting in a 3 groove lilja is the worst
Would you explain the logic of that hypothesis.

Cross sectional bore area, less lands typically means they cut tighter, more friction but also more accuracy in most cases, the different shaped lands R and C's also squeeze in a different fashion but last longer and are easier to clean. Think of it like this, with a conventional 6 groove after the lands cut its just kinda skimming on through, take half of those grooves away and it has to be tighter (only by about .0005-.0007") to spin the bullet up as fast, less surface area. I don't know if that explains it for you or not, but this is from my observations, kevin cram, kirby allen, or shawn carlock may have a better explanation.

Most factory 243 Win's come with a 9-1/8 or 9-1/4 twists. I'd be interest in knowing if anyone has been able to get good groups out of those twist rates.

You can do good with the 26" 9 1/8 twist at 5000ft + altitude in warm thin air, but the 95grn vlds do much better, in a normal sea level condition you would likely have to have a MV of 3350+ to stablize them in a 9 1/8 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.