105g hunting vld's 6mm

Maybe all you Berger loving hunters could start a club. You could publish a monthly news letter or a magazine to tell all your success stories. You could title it "Gut Shot".

Last edited:
Maybe all you Berger loving hunters could start a club. You could publish a monthly news letter or a magazine to tell all your success stories. You could title it "Gut Shot".

If your going to call it that it may be better to call it "Can't Shoot My Rifle"!! The bullet has nothing to do with how you drive your gun, bad shooting is bad shooting Berger, Barnes or Nosler!

I have shot the 95's the 105's wouldn't group as well my 13 yr old son shot 2 whitetails in nebraska 1 at 425 hit it in the high shoulder dumped him in his tracks, we found the bullet under the hide in thoppisite shoulder and retained most of its weight pretty little mushroom,the 2nd was at 560 feeding straight away he hit it in the back broke the back in half and we found the bullet under the skin in his brisket. shot out of a 243 wssm at 3180 at the muzzle. but I do agree shot placement is a key factor know matter what bullet you are shooting. good luck

Edd I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I ask you this. Have you ever shot an animal and lost it? Im not saying you have or havent but in my opinion most animals are lost due to:

Bad Shot placement- This can be from a rushed shot, buck fever, poor shooting ability, deflection from unseen object, ect. IMO The bad shot has nothing to do with the caliber or type of bullet the shooter is shooting.
Also as a hunter and shooter it is your responsiblilty to practice and be familiar with your rifle and how your choice of bullet is meant to behave. I personally have shot and will continue to use the berger VLD for hunting in the situations I feel are appropriate.

I don't know how you say "troll" in Edd's language, but I would assume is sounds something like "tool".

I find it ironic that someone who posts and subscribes to a long range hunting forum, would venture to say something so ignorant. I'm sure the comment helped the OP out in his pursuit of knowledge from our community.

proload,

You would be wise to test the Berger. I have tested so many different bullets into phone books, it's ridiculous. The Berger design is not fragile by any means. I would not hesitate to shoot any African plains game at any reasonable distance with my loads in my weapons in 7mm 180 grain, and 30 cal 210 grain into the shoulder. They defy conventional logic. They are not magic and certainly have limitations, but they do work, and work well they do. I can cite references and post photos of shredded phone books, but please, buy some Bergers and shoot them. The only disappointment I can think of is not having used them sooner.

Please keep us appraised of your situation. I am quite certain your experience will mirror our own. I believe that the major part of the posters on these forums, have higher ethical standards than most. (Some present company excluded.)

Thanks for all the opinion's guys. Based upon what i have read the Berger seems perfect for what im wanting.

A high damage bullet capable of penetrating (relatively) light whitetail shoulder bones with extreme damage and DRT performance. I am basically wanting partition performance with a nice B.C.

I have hunted with accubonds and taken quite a few deer with them out of my 300 winny. With any type of behind the shoulder shot It has been around 100 yards of tracking, and normally we have to head back up to camp and drive off of the mountain and drive around to the bottom to pick the deer up once we drag them down to the county road. The accubond would probably perform much better If i managed to hit the heavier bone in a whitetail. I Am going to give the bergers a try this deer season and while it is still quite a few months away, I will document the performance on front shoulder shots with pictures of the internal performance on Northern Arkansas Whitetail deer.

I will also load some of the scirrocco bonded bullets as well and give them a shot so we can compare.

Not a big fan of the ultra penetration bullets due to the type of game I hunt. Im sure if i were hunting animals that weighed 500lb's and up and wanted to eat my butt. I would be more open to a bullet zipping through bone/gristle/tough hide/guts/spine and exiting with enough energy left in the bullet to blow over 3 inch saplings. But for my particular situation, I want a bullet that will dump the majority of its energy into the animal and still be *JUST* strong enough of a bullet to not splatter on the first bone it hits.

If I wanted ultra penetration I guess a 110 grain muzzy and a PSE crossbow would probably fit the bill pretty good on our 200LB and under whitetails :D

I will keep up with my results this season. And post pictures of in the field performance with entry wound/internal damage/exit wounds.

proload,

You would be wise to test the Berger. I have tested so many different bullets into phone books, it's ridiculous. The Berger design is not fragile by any means. I would not hesitate to shoot any African plains game at any reasonable distance with my loads in my weapons in 7mm 180 grain, and 30 cal 210 grain into the shoulder. They defy conventional logic. They are not magic and certainly have limitations, but they do work, and work well they do. I can cite references and post photos of shredded phone books, but please, buy some Bergers and shoot them. The only disappointment I can think of is not having used them sooner.

Please keep us appraised of your situation. I am quite certain your experience will mirror our own. I believe that the major part of the posters on these forums, have higher ethical standards than most. (Some present company excluded.)

Thank you. I intend to test them as soon as the shooting budget comes back into favor .... there have been several unauthorized acquisitions made recently that have required delecate negotiation .... :cool:

For now, I will have to shoot what I've got ...

But I will try them and will report back. For now, I'm reading all that I can though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.