100g/25-06 loads

remingtonman_25_06

I dont have to much data for 100g bullets out of 3 rifles over the years, 100g is probly the bullet weight that was the least shot. No particular reason just prefered either the 115g for deer, or 85g for coyotes. Anyways, now my 25-06 is going to be my dedicated LR coyote rifle and occasional deer. So I think the 100g pill would fit the bill quite nicely. I want an accurate, high BC bullet. Pretty much the only options I see are the 100g btip or the 100g SMK both of which have BC's of .393 advertised. The only load I tried in my 1st 25-06 was 51-52g IMR-4350 w/100g btips. Accuracy was .5" at 100 yards, and MV was 3300fps. I am thinking about trying this same load in my Winchester to see how it shoots. What are some of your guys more accurate loads for 100g bullets? I would like to see the speed above 3250fps as well. Have seen RL-22 at around 57g mentioned around here traveling right along. Was thinking about also trying this one. Any others out there??

Remingtonman_25_06,

Take a look at RL19, I have had excellent accuracy in my 280 Rem w/ 140 gr loads and 280 AI w/ 120 gr BT.
When I get my 257 Roberts back (on loan to my buddy's wife), I am going to try some RL19 in it as well.
Sorry I can't be of more help with your 25-06.

JD338

I am in the process of working up the 100 gr BT's in a REM SPS. I will try RL 22 (56-58 gr) and RL 25 (58-6?? gr). I am hoping for 3300-3400 fps and sub MOA. My buddy swears by IMR 4831 (54-56 gr). This load has worked for him from prairie dogs to big mule deer. Always bang flop.

I always used 58.0 gr Rl-22 in my 25-06 with the 100 gr BT. This was a top end load in my rifle so work up slow. I was getting 3420 fps in a 24" barrel. Always served me well.

That rifle got me into long range chuck hunting and its getting time to repipe her to a 25-06 AI.

Work up to that level!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I shoot a 25-06 A.I. and have had real good luck using Ramshot Magnum to fireform,I think the Ramshot number 4 manual calls for loads using 60 to 63.5 grs with 100 grain bullets. My fireform loads run around 3350fps with 3 shot groups in the low 4's. Magnum is a ball powder, meters real well,doesn't take magnum primers. Once fireformed I change to Retumbo for my regular load. At least out here the Ramshot powders are one of the cheaper ones. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. What primers have you guys been using?? I always used Fed 210's, or CCI BR-2's out of my 25-06. I bought a couple packs of the CCI BR's yesterday. I have IMR-4350, RL-19 and RL-22 to try, I think I'll start with RL-22, then 4350, then RL-19. Hey POP, did you find that RL-25 data from reloadersnest.com?? I was looking over there through there loads and theres a couple guys using RL-25 at around 62-63g and there getting around 3600fps w/26" tubes. I was thinking about trying it, but I dont wanna buy a whole pound of it, "just to try." Those speeds look insane coming from a 25-06, but I'm not saying its impossible. In my first 25-06, 57g of either RL-22 or IMR-7828 was giving me 3300fps with 115g btips. It was definately MAX for my rifle. I was suppose to get out and shoot yesterday morning, but we've had winds of 20-25 mph, dang it anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

fed 215match on all 25-06 loads. I adjust the charges to that.

Kirby:

That is my exact load and has been in the past. Any on game performance reports with the 100 BT's on large game? Kind of worried at those speeds.

POP,

Keep your shots clear of solid shoulder impacts and you will not have a problem. I have taken alot of big northern whitetails with this rifle and load. I would not intentionally drive one of these into a shoulder knuckle at close range but the rifle shoots so well its not a problem to slip the bullet right behind the shoulder were total pass throughs are not uncommon.

The Ballistic Tips penetrate much better then most thing.

Now adays though, if I were using my 25-06, I would play with the 110 gr Accubond and see if I could get it to shoot as it is a much better terminal performance bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Like you my go to load has for the most part been 115gr partitions with 56.5grs of RL-22. It has just shot so consistant year in and out that I really never felt a need for anything else. I did however try a lot of other bullets along the way but always went to the field for the serious hunting with the PT's. I have taken several head of deer with other bullets including the BT, but they just seemed to lack what I was looking for at the time, not to mention the close up shot thing. THe PT's just worked no matter if it was 20 feet or 400yds, you do your part and they did theirs.

I had great groups using 52.5grs of IMR-4831 under the 100gr BT using the WIN-WLR primer seated to 3.250", and also some awesome groups with the Sierra 100gr SPBT. over 52grs of IMR-4350 and a CCI BR2 primer and seated to 3.150" OAL. Both were very capable of generating groups at or under 1/2" at 200 yds on a regular basis. Velocity for both bullets was, depending on temp, 3350 - 3385 fps.

This particular rifle has been a dream to work with and shoot through the years. It is bsically a stock Rem BDL, with the only work ever being done to it was restocking it with a Fajen Laminate, and adjusting the trigger slightly.

As has been mentioned these were in my rifle and they have been somewhat warm in several others. Work up to them slow.

Good luck on your loads,

My load for my 25.06 is 56gr of RL-19, Federal Benchrest 215 primers and Winchester brass, Nosler 100gr BT. I get a consistent 3450fps and a nice three-shot cloverleaf. A better shoot could probably put them all in the same hole.

53 gr of AA2700 gets 3461 fps and great accuracy

56.8 gr IMR 4831 with 100 gr NPs was really good and was clocked at 3381 fps

I use WLR primers for all my .25-06 loads. Consistenly the best for me.

I'm so glad to see so many other shooters that appreciate the 1/4 bore, it is truly one of my all purpose favorites.
The best loads I've ever had with 100's is the Nosler B-Tip over either 54g RL19 or 55.4g RL22 both being in Win. or Frontier/Hornady brass w/ a WLR primer. Velocities w/ the 19 averaged 3330 while the 22 averaged right at 3400. Both loads shoot 1/4" clusters at 100 yds. I have recently switched to Berger 115 VLD's for my all-purpose load and haven't looked back since, these things are OUTSTANDING! I'm loading 55g RL22 in Fed. brass with a WLR primer for an avg. velocity of 3200 fps, I was loading 56g averaging 3270fps, it seems that the harder you drive them the more accurate they are. I decided to back it off a bit to save my barrel. I've shot 7 ground hogs so far this summer with this load and the results are devastating, can't wait 'til whitetail season. Accuracy with the VLD's is incredible, my best 5-shot group so far is a 13/16" cluster at 300 yds. The rifle is a Ruger 77 VT w/ a Leupold VXIII LR 8.5-25X50 w/ a Premier Reticles Gen.2 XR reticle. Never really cared much for Ruger 'til I bought this one, I think I got a good one!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.