1000yd velocity 300RUM

meatyrem

I am posting this just for curiosity.

Let's say 300RUM just for example, 200gr AB leaving the barrel at say, 3200fps.

Aproximately, what would the velocity numbers be at 1K? ( ballpark )

Ok, with those kind of numbers, is that enough to handle elk? Or can it be a bit farther. With that set up what would be the limit for elk? For whitetail?

Ok, with those kind of numbers, is that enough to handle elk? Or can it be a bit farther. With that set up what would be the limit for elk? For whitetail?

You would still have 1500+ ft.lbs of energy there at 1000 yds too. I'd say that's enough for elk if you make a good shot. There's enough energy for deer for a few hundred more yards, but the bullet might not be going fast enough to expand much further out.? What does Nosler say minumum performance velocity is on the 200 AB?

Noslers sight says 1800fps is the minimum. But I've heard that it doesn't reliably expand at that speed. Esp on whhitetail. Probably a much softer bullet would be need. That's why most would step up to the big 338s

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.