1000yd High Power Match

johnnyk

WOW! got to see my first one this weekend at the Tri-Cities Shooting Club on Rattlesnake Mountain near Benton City, Wa. Looks like it's a lot of fun and takes some skill. Not a lot of people but definately a lot of talent and everyone I talked to was very pleasant and willing to share info/experiences.
Other than a suitalble rifle and a desire to shoot what other requirements do I have to meet?
What is "F" class?....JohnnyK

Go to Log In which is the forum where the LR target/Fclass shooters are.

Fclass is the easiest and simplest way to get in LR and to learn the wind.

You will want to shoot in the F/TR (Target rifle) class which is 308 or 223 only versus the Open class with the big guns. I would go to Savage Shooters and look for the ads from Northlander and look at the savage F/TR rifle in 308 that he is selling for $925. that is a good to go, capable of winning gun and in 308 which is easy to reload and long barrel life. 30inch barrel that is a winner.

Buy a Ken Farrel 20 MOA base ($67) and TSR rings ($70) from Brownells Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools.

Nikon 6-24 or 6-18 with 1/8 clicks, SWFA super sniper in either 16 or 20x for $300 new. You will need at least 60 MOA of elevation in the scope, whatever it is.

for F/TR, you will need a bipod (swivel 9-13") and $60 shooting mat, $30 read bag and that is it to start.

With the savage F/TR you can shoot the 155 bullets or the 175s at 1000. Savage also sells the Fclass rifle which is a 6.5-284 for the Open class, same $925.

the good deal with the savages, they are ready to go out of the box, and you can buy prechambered barrels to change to another caliber and install yourself for around $300. $100 buys a new bolt in a magnum caliber and now you have LR hunting gun.

BH

Last edited:
JohnnyK - glad you got to take in the match.

Washington has a number of really good prone shooters, but I think some of them were likely not competing, after a week of shooting the Nationals down in Raton New Mexico.

F-class is the easy way to get into long-range shooting, and I fully agree about the Savage F/TR rifle. It is a bargain, being competitive at long range right out of the box.

Good luck, and hope to see you on the firing line! Guy

Johnny,
Here's a bit more info for ya... Washington F-Class

I'd hoped to make that match, but after spending a considerable amount of time off playing in Raton NM for the Nationals the wife indicated I probably needed to stick around the house for a while and catch up on chores :D

The Savage 12 F/TR is arguably a very capable rifle for F-Class... FWIW I went w/ a 30moa Farrell base and Burris Signature Zee rings on mine to make sure I could get all the adjustments centered up better @ 1k.

Send me an email if you have any questions,

Monte

Team Savage
WSRPA F-Class/Tactical Rep.

Last edited:
Milanuk congrats on the high rankings at nationals, you must be one heck of a shot. I hope to meet you guys here in the future in Washington, I am saving funds and planning my new rifle now.

Funny, I hear F-Class shooters commenting that Conventional Prone is for people who haven't managed to figure out how to use a scope... ;)

I shoot some of both (including Any/Any w/ a scope :D) so I figure I can poke fun at both sides :rolleyes:

JohnnyK,

There is another (the last for the year until February or March) match this weekend @ the 'Snake. Palma/45 each day... I'm hoping to make it down on Sunday. Bring your rifle!

Monte

Formal Match Publication

The NRA puts out a magazine: "Shooting Sports USA" It is published monthly and lists the registered matches nation wide - including F class, long range across the course, black powder, et. al.

The subscription is about $10 per year 877-672-2000 wwww.shootingsportsusa.com.

I've subscribed for years and I credit it with my finding the "Orange Blossom Regional", a compilation of matches (mid-range [600yds] and A-T-C) that lasts for 9 days in Feb/Mar (in FL). I've grown to look forward to it very much as the snow flies! John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.