1000 yard rifle help

cjboas

howdy y'all, I'm new to these boards and I was just wanting to ask some help building a long range shooter. I've done some research, but my knowledge is fairly limited when it comes to barrel twist and types of actions, etc. The only thing I'm really set on is the caliber (300 win mag, though a 338 is tempting). I have about $1500 to spend on the rifle, but I just don't know how to spend it. I've heard that the remington 700 action is a good buy, and lilja barrels are good (but like I said I have no idea about twist and which materials are superior than others)... stocks I'm not really sure on. I guess what I'm sayin' is I need a walk through on what to buy for this rifle. thanks for any help

with 1500 you might want to buy a new gun, savage 110 or remmy sendero, they shoot great, give you time to practice and learn what you really like then build your dream rifle. My 300 win mag is a 1-10 twist hart, savage 110, cotote hunter stock, rifle basix trigger, leupold vx111. 1500 is not realy alot of money to build a long range rifle if the scope is included in that, my scope alone was 700, barrel and install 500, stock 200, true and time action 200, gun cost 500, trigger about 100,and mine is a real cheap build

I would suggest a little more info.

What type 1000 yard shooting? BR, FClass, hunting, informal or what.

That will determine what twist, stock and action recommendations etc.

For example, in the 1kbr and fclass game, you need/will want a 3" wide forend.

You would be shooting in all probablility one of the 200-220 gr bullets with either a 1-10 or 1-11 twist.

Plus you are not going to "build" one for $1500

However, you can find a good used one for that or buy a Savage 12BVSS in 300 Win Mag or new this year 300 WSM for around $750

BH

SirCharles...

If $1500 is your ceiling (not including scope), then I would suggest doing what rigmechanic said.

I have not been a Remington fan in the past, but two friends of mine are shooting Sendero-IIs in 1,000 "F" class matches, "out of the box", with nothing more than a trigger adjustment, and they are doing very well.

They talked me into buying a Sendero-II in .264 Win Mag for a long range "Feral dog" varmint rifle, and it is the most accurate over the counter rifle I have ever bought. It shoots like a custom rifle.

Street price for a Sen-II is about $900 give or take. The stock is suitable for longrange shooting, and the gun weight is fine for long range shooting.

The new Remington trigger is a great improvement over the old one, and I have brought four of them down in the 24 to 28 ounce range. They break clean.

This would give you $600 more to put into a better scope (you can NEVER have too much money in the scope!!!).

There is the option of buying an action, or a used rifle for the action, and that starts you at around $500, a stock for $400, and a trigger for $150, and a barrel for $350, and someone who isn't a hack to chamber it, fit it and put the rig together and glass it for around $400... that'll put you into it for just a bit south of $2,000.

Thanks for all your guys' help. yeah the 1500 was just for the rifle itself, and I was gonna put in 500-800 in the scope. If I were to buy a rifle just out of the box I was gonna go for a sendero in 300 win mag. I'm pretty much using the rifle for leisure and hunting, not competition or anything, but someday I'd like to do some competition shooting. I'd like to have a rifle that would perform on that level, but I guess I could just later on, buy a new stock and barrel for the remington if need be. Thanks again for the help

[ QUOTE ]
I see that the Senderos that your friends have are out of the box. Is your 264 the same way, or has it been skim bedded or other mods?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not done anything to it... It is still out of the box. Haven't even adjusted the trigger yet. (Came with a ~40 ounce trigger).

I plan on bedding it in the next few weeks when I get time.

you can build a custom savage with a good trigger and after market barrel for that with a little money for a scope. $250 for a stevens action. $120 for 4oz rifle basix trigger. around $330 for a benchmark barrel my choice, or shieln pac-nor barrel intalled.And between
100 and $400 for a stock. You could get a nikon tactical or bushinell elite 4200 or SIII sightron 6-24x50mm for around $500 You could have that cusom rifle with a match grade barrel that would shoot lights out. Remington savage and winchester actions with quality barrels all shoot the same. Better than most shooters. Food for thought

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.