100% powder burn in barrel - Desirable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date

100% Poweder burn in Barrel - Desirable?

• Yes

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting thread. Lets change it up a tad... With a front stuffer, you want complete (or as close to complete) powder burn as possible. Unburned powder equals a fouled barrel.

On my modified CVA, I run a special breech plug designed to give a 100% burn with any safe charge.

Keith, I'll have to get the ML out nerxt time you come by and let you light it off. It's loud too.

I guess that since I changed to BH209 I did not do a ton of load development. The 777 was dirty as heck regardless of how much or little powder I used... I certainly don't enjoy loading and unloading those 209 primers from the breech plug of my Omega, helluva fiddly job with half frozen hands...

Current load is 110gr of BH209 powder under a 245gr polymer tipped Hornady SST in the hornady Sabot. Its not quite as repeatable as I would like.

Drop down to 100 grains by volume with Federal 209's. My CVA yields a 1.5" group consistently at 100 yards and 5 in the tube without appreciable resistance.

110 grains is actually too much to burn.

I tried Federals, CCI's, Winchester's and Federals are the most consistent (and hottest).

Will be getting Thor's this summer an d I'll give you some. No sabot.

So I ran a work up load for my 7mm rem mag and as I went over the published maximums powder charges I noticed very little increase in velocity/grain of powder. It was noted that I could not get within 100 fps of the published velocities in my 26" barrel even several grains over max. Could this mean that I have reached and exceeded the maximum amount of powder that can burn in the barrel? Using IMR 7828

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.