100 gr. 6-.284 loading data???

deruyter

Does anyone have decent data for such a beast. I am looking to build a hotrod 6mm and am looking for suggestions on the caliber or loads for the 6-.284.

Thanks,
Ben

I use R-22, IMR-4831, H-4831 and H-1000 in mine. R-22 gives the best velocity. With a 100 Sierra I use 52.5 grains of R-22 and I am pushing them at 3480fps. This load in my rifle will shoot under about 3/4 of an inch at 300 yards. Of course you will have to work up your load so I would start at 50 grains. If you build one I would build it on a long action and with a 28inch barrel that is what mine has. If you are going to shoot VLD bullets over 95 grains make sure to get an 8 twist. My rifle also likes the 95 grain Ballistic Tip and I use 53.0 grains of R-22 and they are going 3520 FPS and they will shoot about a 1 inch group at 500 yards and at 100 yards they are in the .2's with 3 shots. I hope this gives you an idea of what you can expect from a 6mm-284. I would also talk to FiftyDriver AKA (Kirby Allen) he has a 6mm-284 and he shoots 105 A-max bullets at 3550fps with a 30inch Lilja barrel and it is very Accurate.

Golden Accuracy,
I agree with alot of what Dakor said about the 6-284 ,I have shot one for several years and in my opinion dont build one unless it is a 1-8" twist to shoot VLD type bullet's of 105 to 107gr's .most that I have seen prefer RL22.( if you opt for a three groove barrel the only bullet that wont blow up coming out the muzzle is the Sierra 107gr MK)the good thing is that it is the best bullet I have found for this round.
B

Iron Worker,
in my 6-284 I have a 3groove 8" twist Pac-Nor barrel if I exceed 3300fps with Berger 105gr VLD's they BLOW-UP exiting the muzzle, I switched to the 107gr SMK and I can push them as fast as I want, FiftyDriver has noticed the same thing but only in 6mm 3groove barrels. Guns and Women can be very unpredictable.
B

My 3 groove 1:8 Pac Nor shoots fairly well with 70 grain Blitz Kings exceeding 3600 fps. 0.401" / 5 shots / 100 yards.

Don Ut,
I just popped on my computer and saw your post so I could not resist. Why would you shoot 70gr BK's with such a low B.C. out of a 3 groove 1-8" barrel when stepping up 35gr's you could extend your range several hundred yard's. with 70's you could get away with a 1-12" twist. just curious.
B

Brian, it isn't my 'main' load. The rifle was built for the 107 SMK that performs rather well at 1000 and a bit more. My best group at 1100 yards so far was a tad over 6 inches. I posted the 70 grain info just to show that all 3 groove Pac Nors don't blow up other bullets.

I use this rifle for varmints and predators. The 70 grain load does great out to about 500 yards.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have decent data for such a beast. I am looking to build a hotrod 6mm and am looking for suggestions on the caliber or loads for the 6-.284.

Thanks,
Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one and have shot many deer with it. I have even shot one between the eyes at 400 yards. My load is RL22 and the Nosler 90gr Ballistic tip. My barrel has a 12" twist so it will not shoot anything heavier than the 90gr pills. But it is very impressive. Longest kill on a deer is exactly 600 yards. Hope this helps you out.

Chawlston

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.