10 shots at 1260 Yards

Clayne B

Took a whack at 1260 yards with the .308 shooting 168 gr smk...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJzRt0lALg].308 at 1260 Yards - YouTube[/ame]

The day before this I shot a .56 moa 5 shot group at 960 yards.
I realize it Is well past its supersonic flight. Just had to see for my self how it would do. HAHA

Watch the video to the end. I show you some recovered misses

What was your impact velocity?

Is the rifle a 1 in 10 twist? if so, Have you ever considered trying a heavier Hybrid ogive bullet like maybe a 215? I have found the hybrids pass to sub sonic and stay truer than a VLD in my research.

Those bullets are typical of what I have seen from bullets impacting dirt when impact velocities are below 1000 fps. But they still expand on the steel or a rock, as shown from the splash from your hit. Did you recover the jacket from the hit? It should have been there on top the ground.

You are really getting after it these days. Have you got the itch for a 338 yet? :)

Jeff

Right around 1000 FPS

1:12 twist,

I have shot a .338 lapua, and .338 Tejas, Both very fun guns! Way to expensive for what I make. lol

I was not able to recover the jacket, I found just a very small piece of cooper jacket, like a sliver

Right around 1000 FPS

1:12 twist,

Your rifle shoots very well to 1000. So you may not wish to mess with it. But if I was going to try to stretch it out toward the 1200 mark often, I would look a Hybrid as large as the 12 will stabilize.

I feel there was some interruption of the flight going on with the large difference between the way your rifle shot at 960 and 1260. Probably at the subsonic transition. But a 300 yard longer shot at these distances is a lot more difficult too. Many things come into play and smaller things that effect us get much bigger. Just for grins, I will make a slight suggestion. Try giving yourself a finer aim point to center on. Just big enough that you can split it 4 ways.

I have enjoyed your posts and admire your dedication. Don't rule out that 338 yet. :)

Jeff

Yeah man a .338 would be so dang much fun gun)

I do need a bullet that is stable out to 12-1300, I have an up coming match that will be out to those ranges. :D

They do offer a 168 Hybrid with a bc over .500. I have seen the shorter bearing surface of a hybrid gain some velocity in a 300 win too. Might be worth a shot...

I have watched you shoot and know you have a good discipline. But if I may I will suggest a fine point of aim and concentrate hard on the follow through.

I look forward to watching where to go from here.

Jeff

Thanks for the input and advise. I do agree a Dot on the target to aim at would refine the point of aim quite abit :)

Do you think the 155 smk Palma's launched at 3030 FPS would do well at that range?

Thanks for the input and advise. I do agree a Dot on the target to aim at would refine the point of aim quite abit :)

Do you think the 155 smk Palma's launched at 3030 FPS would do well at that range?

Ya know, I will admit I am not a .308 expert my any means. But when we go past 1000 with anything, BC becomes even more important to fight drift and retain velocity. So I would look at that among the first things. This is one reason you seldom see me load a lighter bullet.

Also, I shoot with "Montanamarine" quite a bit. He would be a very good source of info for a .308 to ELR distances. I would send him a PM.

Jeff

I gave Montanamarine some 215 Hybrids a while back and I am sure he tested them from a 308. Might even have been a 12 twist. I would ask him. You can take what he says to the bank.

Jeff

You have to do what you feel confident in. But I can't get warm and fuzzy about a lighter bullet. I'll take BC over velocity for ELR any day. That does not mean I am right though..:rolleyes:

Jeff

I seen some 175 Berger VLD's and 185 VLD's at the local gun store, I might have to give them a try.

With your results using the 168 SMK near 1000 I would stay with the current load. It appears you have some history behind you with that load. 1200+ with any bullet out of a 308 is tough. If you are content to tinker, try the 185 Jaggernaut. Grafs had them in stock as of 30 May.

I shoot the 200 gr hybrid in one of my 1000 yard light guns that has a 12 twist . Incredable accuracy out of the 300 wsm!!!

You can try a heavyer bullet like the 215, but i think you may have some stability issues, especialy when it gets cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.