1 Rifle to rule them all

Jcub

Bam! Anarchy ensues in our great nation. You have room for 1 rifle that you presently own, which 1 do you reach for?

I'll narrow it down for everyone, you can take 1 firearm.

Last edited:
Whichever one I have the most ammo for. If it happened today. My stag model 3 would get the nod.

+1 with some elaboration...

Must be gas blowback (semi auto), reasonably accurate and be able to double as a hunting rifle is need be. It must take at least a 10 round magazine, preferrably more and must be reliable.

Bolt guns are nice and inherently more accurate but for sending ammunition down range in a time of duress, it has to be gas blowback.

Thats hard...I am a firm believer in the 3 gun rule...rifle, pistol, shotgun. But probably my remington 870 3.5 in mag since it is the most flexible of the bunch and I have a rifled barrel for it.

Also...12B :D

Ya there is no doubt that I would be grabbing 1 of my ar-15 rifles. Fire superiority is key to any firefight. I can kill any animal with enough rounds pumped in it. :rolleyes:

+1 with some elaboration...

Must be gas blowback (semi auto), reasonably accurate and be able to double as a hunting rifle is need be. It must take at least a 10 round magazine, preferrably more and must be reliable.

Bolt guns are nice and inherently more accurate but for sending ammunition down range in a time of duress, it has to be gas blowback.

I wish I had one, but I do not, so that option is out. Will hopefully be my next purchase though :cool:

I'm with 300Whisper. I'd grab my 7 RM, 870, and my Beretta .40 S&W, and just as much ammo as I can carry. It still counts, because there is only 1 rifle there :D

I wish I had one, but I do not, so that option is out. Will hopefully be my next purchase though :cool:

I'm with 300Whisper. I'd grab my 7 RM, 870, and my Beretta .40 S&W, and just as much ammo as I can carry. It still counts, because there is only 1 rifle there :D

Having trouble playing by the rules I see... ;-)

Ya there is no doubt that I would be grabbing 1 of my ar-15 rifles. Fire superiority is key to any firefight. I can kill any animal with enough rounds pumped in it. :rolleyes:

Def an AR, M1A, or Mini-14...in .223 or .308. I just don't own one at the moment.

...and not to start any discention but I do not and never will own an AR15 platform. Nada, zip.

I find them tasteless and devoid of asthetic functionality. In other words, even a gas blowback has to be a good looking rifle.

I've never figured our what the chrisma is, but then, I don't want to.

I sure have enough 556 loaded andf I'm about to load another grand.......:) Got too much 335 sitting on the shelf.....

It's bc it's a military rifle...not insulting your intelligence with that remark but Americans identify with the military and a lot of traditions and habits we have are from it. Look at the 3 most popular chamberings in the US, 30-06, 308, and 223. All military cartridges. The AR is just filling the gap from the M14, the M1 garand, and 1903A3. Once the military adopts a new rifle that will be the new craze. Personally I think they are sleek and ergonomically sound. And for scientific, quantitative purposes it is categorized as "tacticool." :D

What gas blow back would you use, side car?

It's bc it's a military rifle...not insulting your intelligence with that remark but Americans identify with the military and a lot of traditions and habits we have are from it. Look at the 3 most popular chamberings in the US, 30-06, 308, and 223. All military cartridges. The AR is just filling the gap from the M14, the M1 garand, and 1903A3. Once the military adopts a new rifle that will be the new craze. Personally I think they are sleek and ergonomically sound. And for scientific, quantitative purposes it is categorized as "tacticool." :D

What gas blow back would you use, side car?

I just happen to have a Ruger mni 14 Target accurized by Accuracy Systems Inc., in Colorado. It's a pillar bedded gas blowback with 30 round magazines, has adjustable gas block to control ejection and it's a tack driver. At 100 yards, it's one ragged hole for 3 or 30. The design is based on a modified M1 Garand action.

Basically, it's a gun cabinet queen unless I'm punching paper or shooting wood hogs out back.

Too small to be considered a hunting rifle (personally, I don't believe any 223 (22 caliber) is a viable round for humane culling of any deer sized or larger animal, but, a through the eye or ear shot with this rifle is very doable within a couple hundred yards.

I typically load 55 grain Hornady spire point boat tails in OFMB with CCI SR benchrest primers and H335 in various charge weights. I also load 55 grain ballistic tipped V-Max.

It has a 6.5 x 30 Leupold VX3 Target scope with high turrets and fine duplex with a Harris 2 axis bipod out front.

Its not 'tacticool'. I don't care for that term. Those terms are what turns the population against the sport. Always remember that this is a publically viewed forum which means anyone, not just registered posters can read and assimilate information posted on here and that includes the Department of Homelaqnd Security, among others.

We need to refrain from using those terms when discussing any firearm and retailers need to abstain from those terms as well.

The mini in target form is asthetically pleasing. Fine with me. My only semi auto other than a couple 1911's.

The Ar-15 is an incredible design and easily the most versatile platform on the market today. Ease of use and ability to be field stripped and rapidly cleaned, with it's superior design all contribute to this amazing platform. I can disassemble and assemble an AR-15 in less than 45 seconds with no tools.

I know that they aren't traditional and don't have wood stocks, but they were designed to kill people and win wars, it was never designed for anything else. Take it for what it is, not what people want to turn it into.

Its not 'tacticool'. I don't care for that term.

I was using that word in extreme sarcasm. I look at and respect firearms in a math/physics/ numbers way. A lot of my redneck friends think I'm a weirdo since I dont look at them by which one goes boom the loudest. lol...I agree with Jcub about the AR, BUT it has been successfully turned into anything you want it to be (hunting, precision shooting, 3 gun contest, personnel protection). I think people just need to remember where it came from and at a minimum respect that.

Back on the subject...any thoughts on a ruger 10/22 magnum? I feel like that would be extremely versatile.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.