1 in 12 twist 6.5 bullet weights

rickt300

I am going to put together a 26 inch barreled 264 Winchester magnum using a 1 in 12 twist Lilja barrel and would like some good info on usable bullet weights. I am hoping to get at least 3400 fps with the 120 grain speer bullet. The rifle will be used for Wyoming antelope and mulies with generally shots taken at mostly brodside animals. What would be the best powder for top velocities? Lotsa questions for my first post on this board but it seems to be just what I am looking for.

That sounds like a laser beam with some smack! You might get the 107 Sierra Match Kings to really smoke! The Sierra 95gr HP should obliterate a coyote. Have fun and let us know the results!
Dave in Idaho

Unless the barrel is already made I would reconsider it. I had a 264 WM long ago with a 1-12. I used the 120 Sierra SPT which is a short bullet. The rifle was very accurate and really blew up the pests at normal ranges. That bullet really does not have the best Ci however.

You will need a faster twist for bullets like the 107 MK. That's a very long bullet!

The 264 WM that I have now is the standard twist. I suggest that you get that.

I took that advise and traded the barrel for a 7MM Remington magnum barrel with a 1 in 9.5 twist. What a pleasure it is to have so many bullets to choose from and I have actually worn this barrel out and replaced it with a 300 Winchester magnum barrel. This turned out to be a bit more of a kicker but effective just the same and bullet selection is awesome. With a good rangefinder I can't really say one is better than the other because if you know the drop for the ranges you will shoot you can make hits with just about any reasonable cartridge with good result as long as the velocity and energy are there ( and the wind is reasonable). This might sound wrong somehow but I think I may build my next long range rifle in 280 AI, or even a 30-06 with all the great high BC bullets out there why not and recoil is getting to bother me more in my old age than it once did.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts