1 in 10 Twist for .308 Win

scsims

I'm looking to buy a barrel with a 1 in 11 or 11.25 twist for a .308 win rifle I'm building, but it's hard to find a 11 twist right now unless I want to wait. Seem 10 twist are easier to come by, would a 10 twist be fine for a .308 win shooting 175 smks and 185 bergers or should I wait for the more optimal 11 twist?

I'm looking to buy a barrel with a 1 in 11 or 11.25 twist for a .308 win rifle I'm building, but it's hard to find a 11 twist right now unless I want to wait. Seem 10 twist are easier to come by, would a 10 twist be fine for a .308 win shooting 175 smks and 185 bergers or should I wait for the more optimal 11 twist?

Scott

In my opinion the 1-10 is the "optimal" barrel twist for any 308 caliber round. It will give you a lot more options for heavy bullets. In my experience a lot of guys start out wanting to shoot lighter bullets in there 308 win rifles, but then learn speed is not the key to this equation and opt to move up to the bigger pills in 200 plus grain category. One bullet that has become very popular for the 308 win is the 208g AMAX, they have a very high BC and a low cost. I hope my experience helps you out a little.

Scott

In my opinion the 1-10 is the "optimal" barrel twist for any 308 caliber round. It will give you a lot more options for heavy bullets. In my experience a lot of guys start out wanting to shoot lighter bullets in there 308 win rifles, but then learn speed is not the key to this equation and opt to move up to the bigger pills in 200 plus grain category. One bullet that has become very popular for the 308 win is the 208g AMAX, they have a very high BC and a low cost. I hope my experience helps you out a little.

+1

It works with all bullets Up to and including the 220 and 240 grain Match kings.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.