1/14" Hart 6mm barrel-what to build?

SoTex

I have access to a 23" Hart 6mm barrel that is currently not doing anything. I'd like to make something of it maybe along the lines of a walking varminter but don't know what caliber I want to do it in. It's a 1 in 14 twist so they'll be light (58gr Horn Vmax?) bullets and I'd like to scream them out of there but not so much so that my throat looks like railroad tracks inside of 1000 rounds. My first thouhts were 6x284, 243 wssm, or 243AI and my huntin buddy suggested 240 Weatherby but my concern with all of the above is that I won't have enough barrel length to make any use of their case capacity. Should I just stick with the plain ol 243? Good caliber, surely would get the job done but it doesn't really "blow my skirt up" so to speak. Any ideas?

I'll be screwing it on a Savage action, and have a short and long available so either length is fine with me.

I'd go with a 6ppc or a 6br. Both maks for great walking varmint rigs and ammo and componants are readily avail. I have a 1-14 twist on my 6br and it just flat out shoots great.

+1 on the 6 BR. It will do 3800 fps with a 55 BT. That is right at 220 Swift speed and the 6mm 55 BT has a slightly better BC than the 224 version. I've thought about a BR for a walking varmint gun but my Swift still kicks butt gun)

I think the BR would have significantly more barrel life than a 243 or 220 Swift. And the BR would be well adapted to a 23 inch barrel.

my first choice would be a 6BR with a "no turn" neck, or a 6BR with a .264 neck diameter. My second choice would be a 6BRX with a .264 neck. Throat the barrel for 70 thru 80 grain bullets, and have a lot of fun!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.