1,000 yd "F" class target & gun.

308 nate

1,000 yd \"F\" class target & gun.

Thought I would share a picture of my first 20-shot, 1,000 yd group. I shot this group several weeks ago.I happened to get the first relay of the morning and then went straight to the pit so I was able to get this pic. before anyone else shot at this target. I scored a 199-15 and shot two other matches the same day. The second match I shot a 200-13 and the third match I shot a 199-13,took first in all three.I took second in the combined 2-day,5 match shoot.This is way too much fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Had this picture sittin' on my desktop and had to share.Hope you enjoy. Oh yes only a bi-pod was used on all 5 matches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

( I put the first pic.in coral draw and highlighted hits to make it easier to see.)

This is the actual photo with one sighter in the "10"

Re: 1,000 yd \"F\" class target & gun.

Excellent shooting!! What caliber did you use? One of these days I'd like to try a match or two. I doubt if I'll fair quite that well though.

Bill bailey,
I was using a 260AI with Lapua brass, and 142 SMK with 46 gr.of H4831SC for the last three matches which I placd first. The first two matches I was having inconsistant ammo with some new loads I tried,Then on the second match I had a 2 MOA point of impact change,which cost me a few ponts.I was hitting in the X and then all of a sudden one went 20" high! I thought I did someting wrong so I launched another one with the same aiming point and it was right next to the previous one,so I took off 2 min. and the next three went in the X,and the 4th one landed 20" low! so I put on 2 min.and finished the match.
That night I pulled the scope checked all the base and ring screws and put a different scope on and loaded up the 142 SMK's and found out I could shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif 60 rounds at 1,000 yds. loosing two points in the nine. The first place compedator was shooting a 6mm dasher,belly bench rest and did some really fine shooting.
Well, here is a few pixs of the gun.

Nice looking rig! Nice coloration on the stock!

What velocity do you get with those loads?

I was having similar problems as you, occasional shifts or individual bullets out of the groups. Did you ever figure out the the problem?

Terry Perkins

[ QUOTE ]
What velocity do you get with those loads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not get a chance to Chrony the loads as it was after dark by the time I got the new scope on. I had to zero in the new scope by shining my headlight on the target.I guessed velocity to be around 2900 FPS. So I entered the info in my balistic program ,and loaded up the rest of the rounds for the match.Then the next morning, my first sighter was almost perfect elevation, but I had to put on 2 more min of windage.My third shot was for score and I haven't shot the gun since. I will get out and crony them as soon as I can. I have been crazy busy and haven't hardly shot my guns in a month.

308nate

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice gun. Who built it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!.
I am a part time gunsmith and Take pride in building long range rifles for myself and others...so I guess to answer your question, Me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
308nate

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever figure out the the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am suspecting it was my scope,
but have not had a chance to verify, I changed loads,scope and re-torqued all screws.
I did not want to waste another day at the match, so I went over everything It could have been.
I was trying some new bullets and never could get them to shoot to my satisfaction,so I knew I was dealing with an inconsistant ammo problem, but I believe the 2 MOA was something mechanical, as it moved on me and then moved back the exact amount,But I'm open to any suggestions.
FWIW,
308nate
p.s I'll let you know when I put the scope to the test if it was in fact the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts