1,000 yard deer rifle...

Nice specs on the rifle and even with my competition rigs using the 6.5 284 with the 142 pills loaded to the edge they are not adequate period! At 1600 yards you are around 350lbs of energy.

550 ft/lb of energy isn't much for hunting whitetails. time of flight is 1.37 sec at 1000 yards, IMO not enough horsepower for 1k deer.
RR

And that is the problem with try to use FE as a predicter of a cartridges terminal perfomance. If you would take the time to click on the link taht Jame Jones provided and read the his post you find that despite the (in your opion) low amount of FE the bllut left a 1 1/2 to2 inches exit hole in the Deer..
A 300 win mag with a 180 grain bullet with an impact velocity of 2600 FPS has 2700 FPS and a 440 grain Flat Point hard Cast from my 500 JRH revolver at 950 FPS has 882 FE at the muzzle yet in will shoot campletely through an Elk and left a 3" exit in the rib cage

Exit in BullElks rib cage fromm 500 JRH with 882 FE

HuntingPicturesfrom2006061.jpg

The same Elks rib cage with the exit from the 300 win mag with 2700 FE

HuntingPicturesfrom2006060.jpg

Easy to see that FE doesn't tell the story accurately

well I look at other criteria, will 550 ft. lbs of ke kill a deer, yep, but the terrain where I hunt they will be diffacult to say the least to find, I've had more than a few DRT deer that took 20-30 min to locate, just due to the fact that once you get from point A, to almost point b, nothing looks like ya think it should, even though I carefully check the terrain, pick out distinct landmarks, its still diffacult. I admit, most longrange kills are DRT, even with meocre hits, but once in a while you'll get one that makes the 10 second sprint.
A 223, 68 gr hp had 547 ft/lbs of energy remaining at 400 yards, so is it a 400 yard deer rifle?
RR

Looks like you guys have a ball. But I am curious about why no rang finders. The pole thing would be the ticket for the wind. No doubt at all. I couldn't think of a better way to judge the wind. But....when shots get out into the four digit range, seeing what post the animal is by doesn't compute. Lets say you think the deer is standing by the 1100 yard post......you dial in your range. But the dear is actually at 1125....only about a 2% misjudgment in range....you just hit 15 inches low (according to my sierra program and 105 a max at 3200).

I am NOT one of those guys who preaches ethics and sportsmanship and all the other stuff you see when people talk about long range hunting. I say if you have the tools (you do), the talent (you do), and practice (you obviously do) then have at it....I am just sighting the problems I have found in regards to shooting at xxxx yds. I know the use of a good spotter is invaluable. But that takes at least one shot for him to put you on target. I think a rang finder is the only way to go (imo).

I do know that even the best range finders (that are eye safe) get iffy out in xxxx land. We hunt in a canyon, so ranging to xxxx yards with the Swarovski hasn't been much of a problem. But I can see that there would be problems in the flats. Has anyone tried the Wild (not sure of the spelling) optical rang finder. I know it is Swiss army surplus, but have never seen one. They say good to 20,000 yards. I think your setup would be perfect for one of those. They are big and bulky, but, by looking at your setup.....you ain't going nowhere.:)

HAPPY HUNTING :D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.