03 springfield project

Bryan Baxter

I bought a couple of 03 Springfields that had been sporterized. I put one back in uniform (C stock). The other I want to build a custom in the style of the ones made in the 30's and 40's. I have a vintage Bishop stock that has a beautiful shape and figure. A previous owner had tried to smooth the exterior of the barrel and it is now wavy. I want to replace the barrel and possibly re-chamber in a cal that has long range performance but with less recoil than the standard 30-06. I want to be able to shoot it a lot. would the 6.5-06 meet those criteria? I am a bit of a newbie to this type of shooting. I grew up plinking. I have shot a few Highpower matches, across the course and I am enjoying the 600 yard line the most.

Thanks
Bryan

My 6.5 - 06 Improved is excellent at 600-800 yards. You have the makings of a nice rifle there! I too have built several with the same idea.

I love the look of those older rifles!

Bryan, 6.5-'06 or .280 Rem will do it with no changes to the bolt face or magazine. I don't remember if the '03 bridge needs any reshaping, (03-A3's need a little). The bolt handle has to be forged down or cut off and rewelded / reshaped for scope clearance and a low scope safety installed. The case hardening on the receiver has to be broken in the spots where you drill and tap for scope bases, but there are a couple of common methods for doing it. Also, the barrel tenon has a square form thread that is a little slower to cut, and a cone breech that's a little trickier to headspace.

These receivers blue beautifully and make strong, good-looking rifles. Be sure they are the "high number" receivers.

A good plan for a fine action, Tom

IMO it would be a crime to do anything but restore them to their original condition. I've been trying to buy one for years, haven't found one yet. You have one of the most valuable bolt rifles of yesteryear on your hands my friend!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.