.003 from the lands & flat primers Excessive HEAT

ricka0

In .277 guys? What is your fastest 100 grain load? [/In [URL=http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002602].277 guys? What is your fastest 100 grain load?
BudLight mentions he's loaded 3 thousandths from the lands. Is this a good starting point - or should I start at .002 then back off more if overpressure/inaccuracy shows up?

He also writes about flat primers /loose primer pockets. In the dark ages before the internet my scout master taught me to start at the lowest load in the reloading manual and never exceed the middle load. Now I find the fastest/most accurate load I can. I'm carefully monitoring the headspace to prevent a *barrel burner* load. Is there a worry that the last 50 FPS you get is causing 500% faster throat wear? Is there a better way to monitor excessive throat wear?
RL]
BudLight mentions he's loaded 3 thousandths from the lands. Is this a good starting point - or should I start at .002 then back off more if overpressure/innaccuracy shows up?

He also writes about flat primers /loos primer pockets. In the dark ages before the internet my scout master taught me to start at the lowest load in the reloading manual and never exceed the middle load. Now I find the fastest/most accurate load I can. I'm carefully monitoring the headspace to prevent a *barrel burner* load. Is there a worry that the last 50 FPS you get is causing 500% faster throat wear? Is there a better way to monitor excessive throat wear?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.