0 help

lif2fsh

This is what i will be using on my cow elk hunt here in NEVADA. 7 mm stw 160 grain accubound/71 grains of 7828 at 3000 per. sec. I am a fair shot i shoot a little over 20 coyotes a year so i am not new to shooting but all have been under 100 yds. so my 0 is and has been 100 yds. What do you guys recommend for a 0 the area that i will be hunting is very wide open.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS MIKE.

You need to shoot at least 200-300yds to see how much it's going to drop on you.I have a 7STW and your load is rather mild,even less velocity than I get in my 7mag.If you kick your velocity up a little more she's gonna drop a whole lot less.I'm loading 77grs of Reloader-22 for the 160gr Accubond in mine at around 3200fps.1" high at a 100yards puts me right on at 200yds.I could kick it up a grain or two more,but it shoots really good right there.With IMR-7828 I usually load a grain or more higher than what I load with Reloader-22.The load data today shows some very mild loads for the 7STW.Here's some test data from 1996 just to give you an idea about what I'm talking about.

7STWLOADS014.jpg

7STWLOADS012.jpg

Thanks baldhunter,

I know its on the light side for that cal. but have tried lots of different powers and bullets and this one shoots the best group with 160.

All my rifles are zeroed at 200 yards. You are usually good to 400 yards without reseting dials or hold over.

This is the advice I received from my older brother, many years ago. It works. For me, practice at different ranges, and under different conditions is the key.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.