Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Gun Reviews - Discussion

Weatherby’s Newest Vanguard: The Series 2 And The .257 Weatherby Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Weatherby’s Newest Vanguard: The Series 2 And The .257 Weatherby Magnum

Great article! Was looking at the vanguard as my next rifle. Now I'm convinced. Thanks for puttin that one to sleep for me.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

I know this thread is old, But I just got a new S2 Vanguard, and I took the Timney trigger off my old Vanguard SMOA, and it fit perfect on the new S2. I dont know why Timney would say that. The trigger area on the reciver is milled the same, there was no difference. Perfect fit.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Curious if the new stock is stiff enough to get the barrel to free float with some DIY mods.

Scot E.
Last year I purchased a brand new Vanguard S2 in 300 Win. Mag. after drawing a bull elk tag that I'd been trying for for the last 12 years and ended up doing just that in order to get it to pattern in the advertised Sub MOA manner. When I first brought it home I shot several different Federal and Hornady factory loads in both 150 and 180 gr bullets and was lucky to hold 5-6" groups and 100 yds. After reading several online forums in which other people had the same problems and solved it by free floating the barrel I did the same thing. The stock was quite soft so removing material was easy but quite a bit had to be removed in order to get it to free float when resting on my bi-pod. The rifle did shoot much better after doing this (1.5-2" groups @ 100 yds) and I went on to get a decent 6x6 bull elk and a nice 5x5 whitetail with it. This year though i got rid of the original stock and put a Bell & Carlson Medalist on it and am working up some new loads trying to get more accuracy out of it.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredF99 View Post
Last year I purchased a brand new Vanguard S2 in 300 Win. Mag. after drawing a bull elk tag that I'd been trying for for the last 12 years and ended up doing just that in order to get it to pattern in the advertised Sub MOA manner. When I first brought it home I shot several different Federal and Hornady factory loads in both 150 and 180 gr bullets and was lucky to hold 5-6" groups and 100 yds. After reading several online forums in which other people had the same problems and solved it by free floating the barrel I did the same thing. The stock was quite soft so removing material was easy but quite a bit had to be removed in order to get it to free float when resting on my bi-pod. The rifle did shoot much better after doing this (1.5-2" groups @ 100 yds) and I went on to get a decent 6x6 bull elk and a nice 5x5 whitetail with it. This year though i got rid of the original stock and put a Bell & Carlson Medalist on it and am working up some new loads trying to get more accuracy out of it.
Thanks for sharing your info. Please keep us informed on how the gun shoots with the new stock and loads. Did it shoot better with just the stock change?

Scot E.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Thanks for sharing your info. Please keep us informed on how the gun shoots with the new stock and loads. Did it shoot better with just the stock change?

Scot E.
I had it out and shot some of the factory ammo (Hornady Superformance 180 gr Interbonds) that I had from last year and it was better but still not the sub-moa that these guns are advertised to shoot. I was going to load up some handloads and play with it to see if I could find a load it liked better but last week I was on Weatherby's website and noticed a recall on the Stainless S2 Vanguards affecting a serial number range that my rifle fell into. The recall says that the barrel nuts on these rifles were torqued insufficiently which is odd seeing as there is no barrel nut the barrel just threads into the reciever. Anyway, long story short the rifle will be going back to Weatherby soon and I'm hoping that it shoots a little better after the recall work.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

Good write up and good read. I have both a 257 wby and a 257 roberts, love them both. The wby is a custom jobby that I picked up from a gunsmith who had a customer not be able to pay, so it is a better shooter.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

I see Timney has the trigger issue taken care of, and I’ve got an itch for a new gun. A couple of questions for those of you with a 257 Vanguard.

How is the fouling with this round? Would you say the finish of the barrels are smoother than Remington’s, causing less fouling? As far as this being an over-bore cartridge, is it worth looking into the stainless barrels for sake of barrel life?

As for load development with the Weatherby cartridge, I assume loading into the lands is impossible, so you are pretty set on loading to magazine OAL? When it comes to shooting groups, I assume 3 shots at a time are enough before you get that sporter contour barrel too hot?

Thanks in advance for all the info!