Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Gun Reviews - Discussion

Ruger's Classic Model 77 Rifle Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ruger's Classic Model 77 Rifle Review

What would a 1976 action be worth?The gun was a 7 mag,I shot the barrel out a year ago and need funds for something else.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
What would a 1976 action be worth?The gun was a 7 mag,I shot the barrel out a year ago and need funds for something else.
That gun is built better than the newer ones. The safety is like a browning and not a Winchester, right? If so it's worth more than the newer ones but I can't remember when they made the change. I would guess action only, if it is the old style and in good condition. About $125 to $180.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Bronze Member

It is a tang safety,yes.and thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM

I have several M77 MKII's and I just like the fit better.. The 338WM is a fine shooter and it handles the recoil nicely...That one is a new (2012) Hawkeye.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

The thing I don't care for in any Ruger (and I have several BTW) is Ruger's stock trigger sucks without some work and thats unexcusable today.

The other thing is the inattention ro detail in the castings. Ruger touts it's invstment casting facility as state of the art in quality and in finish and I don't see that in their firearms in general.

I have a Number 1 chambered in 300 WBY Magnum and it's had issues from day one. I've had to modify the forestock to get it to shoot reliable groups and again, the trigger took some serious bench work to get it to break crisp with a minimal amount of pre-travel, again, not acceptablem considering the cost of the rifle when there are other, less expensive rifles, that shoot tighter groups and trigger more cleanly at a lesser price.

I do see that Ruger is copying the Savage Accutrigger design and incorporating it into their line and thats a good thing. The Accutrigger mechanism is a good example of what engineering can do to produce a safe trigger than breaks clean, has acceptable pre-travel (for a production trigger group) and adjustability. Hopefully, that will go a long way to hlp Ruger get away from clunky trigger stigma. It won't help with accuracy however.

Ruger can build an accurate rifle if they want to (as in their gas blowback semi automatic Mini 14 Target). I have one of those as well as for a semi auto, loose chambered (for fast extraction), it's the most accurate 223 non bolt gun I've ever shot, so they have the knowledge and the expertise to build a very accurate platform, if they want to......

IMO.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM

I had a Ruger M77 in .300 Win mag that was stolen from my house about 10 years ago. I always wanted another one so last year i bought one used. It is chambered in 30-06. After buying it i took it out and it shot less than an inch with certain ammo. After taking it out the first time i cleaned the bore and it would not shoot that well again so i shot another 50 rounds through it and it is shooting a little less than an inch again.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM

I bought a Ruger m77 .270 winchester about 21 or 22 years ago. When I go white tail hunting Friday it will be with me. It was tough over coming the trigger pull at first but as I got use to it I found that it is a tack driver. I have killed a lot of deer with that gun. 2 years ago I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on it and now I like it even better. I haven't had the chance to shoot the Hawk Eye. What's the difference between the two ?