Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Gun Reviews - Discussion

Ruger #1 in 6.5-284 Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger #1 in 6.5-284 Review

I own a No.1 chambered 300 Wby Magnum and it took a lot of modification to get it to shoot consistently. I was suprised my shoulder withstood the trial period, it's a kicker.

I believe I'd choose another manufacturer over Ruger and the No.1 considering what I had to do to get a consistent group.

For me, it's more of a wall hanger than a viable hunting tool.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

I am the author and there are three reasons I used lower velocities. I do not see the sense in shooting out a barrel in 800 rounds just for 100-200fps. I have had both shoulders operated on and I do not like recoil and since I do most of my shooting off a bench, lower velocity seems best so I can enjoy the rifle with the luxury to go faster, bigger if I want. I shot a nice buck with it and the deer went straight down. It is like having a finely tuned sports car. I don't see the need to keep it floored all the time. BUT I can if I want.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I'm not a proponent of hyper muzzle velocity either because the higher the velocity the more frictional resistance, heat of combustion of propellant and resultant barrel wear takes place.

In fact, I tend to stay within the median velocity range (for any caliber) and compensate by sending a heavier pill, but then, my hunting consists mostly of less than 500 yards, oftentimes much less.

I've never shot out a barrel yet and don't plan to.

Probably why I like my 308. That barrel will outlast me.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsingleshot View Post
I am the author and there are three reasons I used lower velocities. I do not see the sense in shooting out a barrel in 800 rounds just for 100-200fps. I have had both shoulders operated on and I do not like recoil and since I do most of my shooting off a bench, lower velocity seems best so I can enjoy the rifle with the luxury to go faster, bigger if I want. I shot a nice buck with it and the deer went straight down. It is like having a finely tuned sports car. I don't see the need to keep it floored all the time. BUT I can if I want.
Fine and dandy if shooting for your own purposes, but when done as part of a review, it doesn't tell anyone what the full capability of the rifle looks like. A few max loads for test will have little effect on ultimate barrel life and the 6.5-284 is not known for recoil even at max loads.

You may have a finely tuned sports car or you may not. Driving it around the block at 25 MPH isn't likely to tell anyone much about its capabilities. No one says you have to KEEP it floored. If you are not going to test it, you may as well be driving a Prius.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

I read somewhere that a Prius will go 99 mph. Floored.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I read somewhere that a Prius will go 99 mph. Floored.
Yes, but it will never pass a SMUG inspection (no that's not a typo).