Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Gun Reviews - Discussion

Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Re: Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

Nice artical as you say they are nice ..I have a Rem 7mm Mag 700 BDL for over 32 years with a Scopechief7 Bushnell BDC for over 40 years and have done some long range shots just fine with mine .. but if i was a younger hunter i would get a 338 with a good scope ,any of three... Imho

i would carry about 12 lbs max hunting.. but i live in Grizz/ Sheep and Goat country

David
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM

First let me say I enjoyed your article!

Greetings gentlemen, I’m an older Vietnam era vet that qualified “expert” while in the Army with several weapons. While I have always been somewhat of an Elmer Keith big bore heavy caliber throwback, I find myself as I age not so gracefully that my body simply will not accommodate the abuse I used to put it through. I hunted the blowdown timber of western Wyoming with a custom .375 H&H and the plains of Wyoming with a custom .30-06. Both were heavier than the average rifle 9 to 11 pounds. I like the heavier barrels not only for their accuracy but because they help steady for a shot after a hard run to the top of a ridge. Try that with one of those ultra-light easy carry rifles and one will soon discover the downside! I’m a big guy 6’ 5” and yes I played football as well as basketball along with most other school sports. I stayed active all through my life until my exposure to toxic chemicals and age did their damage to me.

A tactical rifle can be a perfect rifle for hunting depending upon the area hunted, the game and the hunting style of the hunter. A hunting rifle is in the eye of the beholder. Some like to stalk their game down over long distances while others do extensive research to set an ambush for the animal. It all depends on the animal, the environment it is found in and the method the hunter prefers. There is no perfect rifle for all situations. A rifle best for hunting in the swamps I grew up around in southern Arkansas will not be the best for hunting above timberline in Wyoming or the Deserts of Arizona.

Right now due to my age, physical status, as well as extreme financial situation I am trying to put together the seeming imposible do it all rifle. It will most likely be .308 or 7MM. I find myself in the High Desert of Southern California to be near my wife’s family but I know not a soul. I want to hunt coyotes, desert Mule Deer, and do some fishing but so far have met no one with like interests.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Assassin View Post
I like the heavier barrels not only for their accuracy but because they help steady for a shot after a hard run to the top of a ridge. Try that with one of those ultra-light easy carry rifles and one will soon discover the downside!
Actually I stop and let my heart and wind slow down before I top out. I just assume there's game over the top of every ridge.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Actually I stop and let my heart and wind slow down before I top out. I just assume there's game over the top of every ridge.
I was referring to trying to catch up to get a shot at an animal you are pursuing before your intended target makes it to the concealment of timberline on the opposite side of the slope when hunting the high country above timberline. There is no time to rest or calm before preparing the shot sometimes. I used to hunt the Continental Divide area east of Jackson Hole, some very rugged country. Making such a shot happen could be the difference between going home with your quarry or empty handed. Big mule deer and elk don’t get big by making very many mistakes. You have to do everything you can not to let them know you are anywhere in the area but once they top out you want to get to a good cover position from which you can observe or take the shot if it presents.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 PM

did the "tactical hunter" come with that night force
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Great thread. I too am new to long range hunting but not so new to long range shooting. I'm retired Army and in the early days of my career attended the aerial gunnery school where we shot everything from the tried and true M60 to the mini-gun; however, my personal favorite was the M14 platform that we used for more personal and precise scenarios that would give us a little more moving around room. I now find myself shooting the 308 usually in a Savage or Ruger American (don't laugh I'm putting kids through colledge and have a limited budget) but my long range go to platform is an old Interarms Mark X with a McGowen barrel chambered for the 300 H&H how's that for old school? I figure if the cartridge won the Whimbleton Cup for Ben Comfort in 1935 it will do for now until funds improve. Funny thing about the H&H it doesn't kick nearly as much as my shooting buddie's 300WM and his rifle out weighs mine by two pounds. We shoot 180s out of both rifle and mine run about on average 100 - 75 fps slower but the difference in recoil is quite noticeable can anyone explain this?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Dunndee , don't under estimate a 308. I have had one since 1965, and Have the Savage rifle. Fancy rifles I cannot afford easily either.