Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Gun Reviews - Discussion

Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

The Barrett Firearms Company manufactures solid, accurate, reliable and exceptionally lethal weapon systems. I have yet to shoot their new bolt gun "98 BRAVO chambered in .338 Lapua," however if any of their other weapons are an indication of what it is like, certainly it will be top drawer.

After spending a little time shooting both the .338 Lapua and the .338 Norma, I must admit that the .338 Norma has grabbed my attention, and it is for this reason that I am in the process of cutting chamber for it. Both cartridges are performers, however the .338 Norma was designed and built around the 300 grain SMK. As a result, the 300 grain SMK works Very, Very well fired from the Norma platform.

Several young men that took a class from me last year brought 300 RUM's, and they shot exceptionally well. I cannot remember the load or bullet that they utilized, however it did make allot of velocity and did shoot exceptionally well...

Still, unless I change my mind, I will probably hunt Elk next year with my 6.5 X 284, and I will not hesitate to take shots at 1000 yards with it. I am utilizing the Berger 140 grain VLD's that move at 2950 fps and shoot as accurately as anything out there if not better.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

I just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM
brassprep

Tactical? What is the expected barrel life of the 300 win? How many rounds does your "sniper" fire on a weekly/monthly basis? How many field RTE quality gunsmiths are available in the given combat zone? I'm a big fan of a 300 win, but believe the barrel life is a limiting factor for a straight issue combat rifle, along with one more NSN match grade ammo to be placed into the supply chain. Our military sniper rifles for the most part need to be standardized. SOCOM can and do have special toys for special situations, but as a good rule of thumb, stick to what works, and what has been trained for/ and trained on.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Hey im new to the whole forums thing so forgive me if i do things wrong but i just graduated and im looking to get into the long range shooting.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
brassprep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
do you believe the .300Win Mag has an advantage over the weatherby due to the belted cartridge?
Both are belted, same size belt infact. I don't understand this question.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Silver Member

Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Bronze Member

That was a good article. I too am a newly retired/disabled veteran and prefer a tactical rifle. Not because I'll be hunting people in an urban environment with it. But, because that is what I prefer to shoot. And, many of the recent designs are upping the ante for hunting rifles. Just because muskets were the original "rifle", doesn't mean we have to continue to use modern rifles that are modeled after them .... LOL. Many of the tactical rifles have pronounced features that tranfer very effectively into hunting curcumstances and make a much more user friendly/purpose built machine.

Don't get me wrong, I have an old hand me down 700 from the 70's with the wood stock and no floor plate and I really love that rifle. But, my modern .308 build with a B&C Tactical Medalist, heavy barrel and 50 mm Vortex Viper sitting on top ..... hunts just as well (actually better).