Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Gun Reviews - Discussion

Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM

Re: Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

do you believe the .300Win Mag has an advantage over the weatherby due to the belted cartridge?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM
SPONSOR

No advantage or disadvantage. Belted is belted and I don't really care as long as I can get the firearm to shoot.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM

good point. one last question. whats the farthest you have shot with it to date?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
SPONSOR

With the Tactical .300 that's in the article and utilizing the Berger 210 VLD's , just over 1400 meters.

With my 6.5X284, utilizing the Berger 140's, roughly 1200 meters.

The ballistics between the two cartridges are similar, only the 6.5 is moving about 100 fps slower at 1000 meters.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 PM

hmmm interesting. all within MOA im guessing too. Sorry to bother you with so many questions. your article has changed my thinking of long rang shooting and now i have tons of questions running through my head.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
SPONSOR

knockturnel: No problem with the questions. Please Feel free to phone me if you like, I am certain that you cannot talk my ear off.

The Tactical .300 Win Mag with the Night Force scope on it, utilizes both a Mil-Radian Reticle called the "MLR" and also a 1/10th of a mil click value for the turrets.

The "MLR" reticle has lines that represent the milliradian measurements of the stadia instead of Mil-dots. Also, the Night Force 3.5-15X50 scope has a total of 110 moa adjustments from top to bottom, which is equal to 32 milliradians. If I dialed in the 14 mils into the scope, (48.5 moa) for 1400 meters, I would still have 2 mils (7 moa) of adjustability left. If I was shooting flat, I could theoretically take five mils of adjustment out of the turrets by dialing in 9 mils and holding over on mil line #5. I say holding flat, because when shooting on an incline or decline, the Shooter's eye is slightly pulled off of the ocular center of the glass, which in turn will cause the poi to hit high.

The Scope on-top of my 6.5X284 is also a Night Force, however it is a 5.5X22X50 and utilizes the NP-R2 reticle; which has lines that are in 2 moa increments. The extra power is very good in cool weather for magnifying the target, however has a narrower field of view. I hope that this isn't confusing because shooting long range is easier than you think. Math is math and science is science...
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 AM

i understand most of what you just said. ill let it sink in a bit and then read it again in the morning just to make sure. im kind of new at this whole long range deal. My old man used to shoot a 25/06 out to 800 plus yards back when i was a kid but he has gotten out of that after he left the gunshop he was working at. all that he taught me was to sight in my rifle, 2.5inches high at 100 yards and whatever i put the cross hairs on and pull the trigger on at 500 yards will probably die. Well, im not a huge fan of "probably". I like cold hard facts. If im going to shoot at something 728yards away, i want to make sure im going to kill it with one shot. sighting in at 100 yards and holding a 2.5inch group is not good enough for me. i took a moose this year at approx. 500 yards. the closest thing i could range to him after the fact was 476.i did not have a range finder with me and ended up shooting way ahead of him. i made the shots and was lucky there was no ruined meat. after that, i told myself i would be a better shot. which led me here. ive read just about every article pertaining to the 300RUM because this is what i thought i would get. but now im not sure. Ive always hunted with 180gr lead and it hasent stopped me from killing a few moose and lots of whitetails and mulies with little if not any meat loss. but i also use it in the bush a lot. im always hiking around. just sitting and glassing. Sure, ive seen lots of nice animals at a very far distance but by the time i get there, they have dissapeared. i hunt some amzing huge areas around here. Some of which were showcased in the video of Jerry Teo shooting his 223 at one mile. Im just trying to pinpoint the perfect cartridge for me and get started ASAP on a build of my own. you are helping me more then you know. and for that, i thank you.