Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

Tom,
Check your email. I got an answer from Sako.
Marc
Old 10-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
No problem. Glad i could add something to the discussion.

Winchesters are pretty good rifles. I've owned a couple in my time and have only just bought an 70 Extreme Weather SS in 270wsm. I'd much rather own a winnie than a remmy!

Hunting rifles i currently own and current retail prices (converted to US Dollars):
Steyr SSG69 in 308 $1750
Sako 85 Hunter in 270 $2070
Tikka M65 in 2506 Not currently in production
Mauser M03 in 6.5x55 $2390
Sauer 202 Stutzen in 7x64 $2870
Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in 270wsm $1440

A few US rifles currently available and their prices for comparison:
Browning X Bolt $1195
Thompson Icon $1440
Savage Arms 16 FLSS $1705
Kimber 84 Montanna $2230
Remington 700 Police TWS $3665
Mossberg ATR $877
Remington 700 SPS $1020
With that kind of pricing I wouldn't own more than 6 either.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Back in the late sixties a gun magazine ran a test on five rifles with overloaded
rounds. The Win, Rem, and Browning (FN Mauser back then) all blew on the first
round, the Weatherby went three, the Ruger stood five and was still intact, at that
point they quit shooting it. Not really pertinent to todays guns but interesting.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Some facts about this test:

a) It is Swedish test, not a Finnish one. That is pretty big of a difference, even for non-Fennoscandinavians. So it is pretty hard to make the argument that this test was made to suit the Finnish, Italian or German rifles. For anybody half-informed about European matters, the thought that the Swedes try to push Finnish products sounds funny indeed.

BTW the Japanese one, HOWA did also well.

b) This test was done by Testfakta, a independent and prominent Swedish testing agency which mission is to give the (Swedish) consumer clear and impartial testing results. The testing itself was done in the Försvarets Materielverk, which is responsible for the testing of the "Teknik för Sveriges Säkerheit", basically the testing of the military technology of Sweden. Pretty hard to get a better partner than FMV.

--> Här exploderar älgstudsaren - Testfakta.se

--> Försvarets materielverk - På svenska

c) You can get the single videos, test-setup and details from their hompage:

--> Här exploderar älgstudsaren - Testfakta.se

After setting some things straight, the discussion might get back to the track.

Kronberg
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for that clarification. Now I just have to remember not to weld my barrel shut. But, I can see how easily that could happen. Now I'd like to see some tests where a stick of Acme brand dynamite is inserted into the action in place of the bolt. Since you just never know when this could happen, the relevance is certainly on par with the welded barrel test.
I know that is a little bit (ok, a lot) sarcastic, but hopefully you can imagine why we all think the test was:

A: Entertaining
B: Irrelevant
C: A waist of some fine rifles

Cheers
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
No wonder your opinion is so swayed toward European firearms. Mine would be too if I was in your shoes. Thats rediculous to even think about paying that much for a plain jane factory rifle of ANY make or model. Heck Id have a hard time caughing up $3600 for a custom. I now have a better understanding of why our opinions differ so greatly, and why you choose what you do. Limmited on the number of rifles and calibers you can own would SUCK!!!!! Plus seeing the offerings you get for the price..... NO WAY! I cant even imagine.... THAT SUCKS!!!
Im a huge Winchester fan, and you know that, and know why already. But if I was in your shoes Im pretty sure Id own (ONLY 6-...yikes!) Sako Finnbear's in calibers popular to my continent and or world wide.
I havent played with the Sako -75 or -85, but Im quite impressed with the old school Sako Finnbears. Of course if they cost double what a Win-70 did and were only offered in "odd for continent" calibers, then add in the mix that I could only have 6 rifles...... I wouldnt give them a second glance. (as in a role reversal).
Well, now I have a better understanding of your stance on American vs European firearms, and calibers/cartriges.
Thank you for the informitave post
I think I'd just move to the USA and let them have it.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM

I am sure glad that I saw this. I went out to the barn and washed out all the plugs that I had welded into my rifles with a cutting torch. Thank goodness I haven't fired them since I welded the plugs in the muzzles. I put some little guoges in the end with the torch. Do you think that I need to recrown or can this wait ?

Guys - I have been around a blowup and it didn't have a thing to do with barrel plugs. If your that close please don't be lulled into thinking that the difference between brands is a confidence builder.