Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

Wow, that's scary since I have a 700PSS. I guess I'll have to remember not to weld my barrel shut.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know that there's any data that exists that would give an average pressure for all or atleast most actions. Actions are designed to withstand pressures over what a standard load would be but, doubt if any action manufacturer is going to release what pressure that is for a given action. I do seem to remember reading an article where tests had been run and determined that shear strength...I'm guessing was predicted on the lugs to be 130k-150K psi but don't think name of action was given. Maybe some others may be able to offer more definitive info.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

I think there is a definite lesson to be learned here. Don't weld your barrel shut!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

+1 w/roaddog1m-don't weld the barrel shut.

And don't pull an Elmer Fudd and put ya finger in the barrel either.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
+1 w/roaddog1m-don't weld the barrel shut.

And don't pull an Elmer Fudd and put ya finger in the barrel either.
He/she who does, deserves the consequences.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
I don't know that there's any data that exists that would give an average pressure for all or atleast most actions. Actions are designed to withstand pressures over what a standard load would be but, doubt if any action manufacturer is going to release what pressure that is for a given action. I do seem to remember reading an article where tests had been run and determined that shear strength...I'm guessing was predicted on the lugs to be 130k-150K psi but don't think name of action was given. Maybe some others may be able to offer more definitive info.
Most rifles are built with a 50% safety factor But not to withstand the pressure of a pluged barrel
so the test proves nothing except that they can and will come apart if you pluge the barrel by
any meens.

The barrel contour has an effect on what pressure it will take before failure so again.Don't
read a lot into this test except that as others have said. DON'T PLUG THE BARREL !!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog1m View Post
Wow, that's scary since I have a 700PSS. I guess I'll have to remember not to weld my barrel shut.
I'm still pretty impressed with Remingtons. I recently handled one that had a 308 Win fired in a 270 chamber. That bullet extruded it's way down the bore and Remington's "3 rings of steel" did their job very well. The case head expanded and flowed to fill the entire extractor recess, primer cup completely flattened, brass flowed .020" into the ejector hole. No damage except for stress cracks at the boltface flange that retains the spring steel extractor. Later the bolt flange was bored out, a bushing installed and a Sako style extractor installed.